What happens to those horrible cars?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

What happens to those horrible cars?

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

I get this question a lot. People laugh when I buy them, then groan when I sell them. But what happens to them, well, they get restored, and the Porsche world is a better place because of it.
Some of you may remember a Roadster that I bought with the help of Al Zim a few years back. It was awful, the guy commuted to MIT in it, year round, so it soaked up salt like a sponge. After blasting there wasn't much left, except it was a D-Iterian Roadster and worthy of saving. I sold it to a guy in Germany who sent me these pictures yesterday. Did he come out ahead money-wise, I have no idea, I didn't ask. Does he have a car that he loves, that I can answer, he does. Can another Porsche now be driven and enjoyed for generations to come, that I can answer to, yes. Is the Porsche world a better place because people like me pull these cars out of dark holes where they can be restored, the answer again is yes. I love a story with a happy ending.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
2.JPG
2.JPG (35.5 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
TXroadfollowup.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Barry Schultz
356 Fan
Tag: "I'm a dreamer" ~ Herb Brooks

Re: What happens to those horrible cars?

#2 Post by Barry Schultz »

Very nice....well done, Adam. I wonder if that white was the original color on the car as it came from the factory......now that was be wonderful, eh?
Bazza
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Registry #17419
'64 356C sunroof coupe - Red  #128848
'72 914 roadster 2.0 fuel-injected - Silver
'83 911SC targa - Glacier Blue

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Amazing what can be done! Thank God for folks like Adam who take the time to search out cars that otherwise would disappear forever. Incidentally, a friend of mine owned a Conv. D a few years ago, which was originally bought by the then president of MIT. He did make an offer to buy it back. Of course, the late, great Harry Pellow was an MIT grad, so there seems to be a strong 356-MIT linkage.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

We are fotunate to live in a time that these cars still exist but more importantly, parts and expertise are more available to properly restore them.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

kudos to the seller and the buyer.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

Barry Schultz wrote:Very nice....well done, Adam. I wonder if that white was the original color on the car as it came from the factory......now that was be wonderful, eh?
Original color was 6004, Light Ivory.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Is the current white a brighter, whiter color than the Light Ivory?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

George Hussey
356 Fan

#8 Post by George Hussey »

another one saved congratulations. 356s are an important piece of Porsche history and every one that can be saved should be saved, unlike some other marques!
Attachments
IMG_7216.JPG
George Hussey

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

Martin Benade wrote:Is the current white a brighter, whiter color than the Light Ivory?
Since my car is Light Ivory, I always look at other cars painted this color. At a meet in Sacramento last fall, there were 3 Light Ivory cars in a row, including mine, and each was a slightly different shade with mine being the lightest. I don't know what is correct - I attempted to match the original unpainted dash on my car when the paint was sourced. Even though mine is light, it's a long way from refrigerator white as I had a panel repainted and the painter erred in getting the paint mixed and the side-by-side comparison was very evident. My observations from car shows is that Ivory got progessively whiter over the years from a yellowish cream to the Light Ivory of the Cs.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Greg Bryan

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jon Schmid »

Martin Benade wrote:Is the current white a brighter, whiter color than the Light Ivory?
I consider my Roadster to be a whiter shade than pale. 8)