CB Performance Weber Linkage Adapter Kit / Manifolds

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

Re: CB Performance Weber Linkage Adapter Kit / Manifolds

#16 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

That's a good assumption Greg. That was true on my car that was restored in the early '90's and fitted with Dellortos adapted to the zenith manifolds. This was the reason that I replaced them with the Solex manifolds and had those fitted with the machined 40mm adapters shown above.

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#17 Post by Greg Carter »

Jeffrey Leeds wrote:That's a good assumption Greg. That was true on my car that was restored in the early '90's and fitted with Dellortos adapted to the zenith manifolds. This was the reason that I replaced them with the Solex manifolds and had those fitted with the machined 40mm adapters shown above.

Jeff
Jeff,

Any idea if your machinist does this regularly or was it a one time job? I'd be interested to know what it would cost to have this done if it's something he does regularly.

Greg

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Hi Greg. This was a one time job as a favor. The only material cost was the piece of aluminum bar which was bought off eBay. Hopefully you can find someone to do it for you if you want to go this way. The pictures should help and I could send you a few more of the steps if it helps.

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

C J Murray
356 Fan

#19 Post by C J Murray »

Greg, as Vic implied Webers can't be made to fit Zenith manifolds even with an adapter plate. You must have Solex manifolds. Buy the levers that Greg shows and get your down links at the same angles. Then do a careful tune. If the links are at different angles now then the car will run better with that fixed so you are not wasting your time or money changing the levers. Do it.

If the car still hesitates after that look at the ignition timing first. Check the timing with an adjustable timing light at both idle and 3500 rpm. In rough numbers it should be 5* at idle and 35* above 3000 rpm and should be fairly stable, not bouncing.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#20 Post by Greg Carter »

Jeff,

Thanks fro the reply.

CJ,

Sounds good. I've already ordered the arms so I'll sort that first. I guess I must have Solex manifolds then as there is definitely an adapter plate under the carb bases. I just assumed there was an adapter plate for a Zenith manifold hence my confusion.

With regard to timing, I've set the timing to 5* BTC statically per the book then checked it a 3,000 RPM with an adjustable light. With the Dansk replacement distributor I only saw about 27* total advance at 3K. I haven't researched these aftermarket distributors yet but somehow, at $85 or so, I doubt it's of very high quality. I'll look into ti more to see what I can find.

Greg

C J Murray
356 Fan

#21 Post by C J Murray »

That timing curve may actually be better than stock. The cars really like more than 5* at idle so if you set the full advance at 33* you will have 10* at idle and some engines like a few degrees less timing at full advance anyway.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#22 Post by Greg Bryan »

Greg - if your manifold looks like the one in the picture above, that's the Solex manifold. I've never seen a weber adapter for a zenith manifold.
Greg Bryan

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#23 Post by Greg Carter »

That’s what they look like I’m pretty sure. Guess they’re Solex manifolds then.

As a side note. I adjusted the timing some to get a little more advance and it seems to help the stutter I described earlier. I also put in new plugs and wires so that may have helped as well.

I’ll keep tinkering tomorrow and install the new throttle arms when they get here next week.

Greg

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#24 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

There is an article on Weber Carbs in the 356 Club So Cal magazine Spring 2015 by Mark Fuhrman. Might be helpful.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dick Weiss »

I'm unaware of a Dansk distributor; W/max. advance @ 27 degrees, it's possibly a -009 VW.
What's the stamping on the body, or does it have a tag?

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#26 Post by Greg Carter »

Dick Weiss wrote:I'm unaware of a Dansk distributor; W/max. advance @ 27 degrees, it's possibly a -009 VW.
What's the stamping on the body, or does it have a tag?
This appears to be the distributor I’ve got although the cap and rotor on mine look like BOSCH 022 parts. Also, I’m running 6V where the description says it’s for a 12V car. I don’t see any stamps due to a heavy coat of black paint.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/ ... gLdbfD_BwE

The odd thing is, somebody glued (yes glued) an 022 data plate to the side and painted the body black. At first glance it appeared to be a restored 022 until I really took a good look at it.

Greg

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#27 Post by Steve Proctor »

I don't know if they still sell them, but Pierce manifolds used to sell Bugpack brand intake manifolds that are correct for 40mm Webers and Dellortos. I bought a set a few years ago. I did some minor port cleanup at the ends and removed some casting flash in the runners. Otherwise, good fit, correct oriface / runner diameter and carb / manifold interface is same height relative to the crossbar arms.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

I don't know if these are the correct ones or not....
Vic says shiny is bad so maybe these are not good.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Dual-I ... ntakes.htm
Last edited by C J Murray on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#29 Post by Greg Bryan »

I called Pierce Manifolds a few days ago asking about their current manifold and the fellow I talked to said they were suitable for 40 or 44, which means to me that they have the larger runners that create a step when you're using a 40mm carb.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#30 Post by Greg Bryan »

Greg Carter wrote: The odd thing is, somebody glued (yes glued) an 022 data plate to the side and painted the body black. At first glance it appeared to be a restored 022 until I really took a good look at it.
Greg
Jeffrey Fellman is/was selling a distributor exactly as you describe. I ran one on my car for a while and it seemed OK.
Greg Bryan