CB Performance Weber Linkage Adapter Kit / Manifolds

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

Re: CB Performance Weber Linkage Adapter Kit / Manifolds

#31 Post by Greg Carter »

It seems the one I have doesn’t advance much beyond 27* for some reason. Additionally, I’ve read the advance curve is not the same as an original 022. I’ve got a flat spot I’m sorting and while I don’t know if the distributor is causing it, I’d really like to find a core 022 and have it rebuilt. That would eliminate at least one variable.

The other problem I gave with this distributor is the green wire to the coil is damaged and does not attach to a spade connector at the distributor like an 022. Id have to either splice a new green wire or see if I can get parts (a complete condenser I think) in order to fix it.

Greg

John Jenkins
Registry Hall of Fame

#32 Post by John Jenkins »

Greg, you have a Jeffrey Fellman repro distributor. The ones I have checked out for my locals have curves all over the place. If you do get a good one it will have a straight line advance which not optimum for a 356. I cannot state a known total advance. 009's will give you a flat spot every time. It is built into the "curve." Suggest you have it put on a distributor machine and checked out for a decent curve. An 031 is a cheap alternative to the 022 prices I have seen if you want something to replace the thing you have.
John Jenkins

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#33 Post by Wes Bender »

Greg, in spite of his only having 5 posts here, John Jenkins is the distributor guru as far as I'm concerned. No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#34 Post by Chuck Allard »

+1

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#35 Post by Greg Carter »

John Jenkins wrote:Greg, you have a Jeffrey Fellman repro distributor. The ones I have checked out for my locals have curves all over the place. If you do get a good one it will have a straight line advance which not optimum for a 356. I cannot state a known total advance. 009's will give you a flat spot every time. It is built into the "curve." Suggest you have it put on a distributor machine and checked out for a decent curve. An 031 is a cheap alternative to the 022 prices I have seen if you want something to replace the thing you have.
John,

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it.

I'm planning to put in an 022 once I find a core to send off and rebuild. I can look into the 031 as well but figured I might as well put in an original distributor if I can find a core and I was going thgrough the trouble of getting it rebuilt.

The flat spot I have is pretty annoying and makes spirited driving a little tough. If I ease on the gas and drive easily it's less pronounced but still there since I'm asking less of the advance curve. I feel like, after reading through posts, the distributor may be the majority of my problem. As mentioned, this one doesn't seem to advance beyond 27* and the curve is off even for the Webers I'm running.

Greg

david meyers
356 Fan

#36 Post by david meyers »

Greg, I agree with Wes. After wasting time and money with a couple other supposed distributor "rebuilds" ...John is the one that came through for me ! Made my 022 look and work like new.

Also he gave me a good tip after I got the distributor back from him, and was having mixed results getting the car/engine to be happy timing number wise...he asked what kind of timing light I was using .
Told him it was a new digital/adjustable unit I just got through Sears...He said just set it on zero , and use it like a normal/old timing light .He was right, worked much better, numbers weren't all over the place.
John said a lot of professionals he knows get mixed ,not always reliable, results on those adjustable digital units.

Now the next time I check timing, I will still play with the digital adjustment feature just to see what it shows vs setting it on zero , cause I did it both ways on a friends older "A" model here in town, and
and it seemed work ok on the digital mode , or at least closer than mine was ...good thing to know , and here I thought the fancy new light was going to be always perfect .

Thanks John !
David Meyers

It's never too late to have a happy childhood