59A on BAT just sold for big money

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: 59A on BAT just sold for big money

#31 Post by Adam Wright »

Sean M Rooks wrote:
Steven Murray wrote:Well in the world of BIRDS they have bird watchers and bird owners. The bird watchers seem to have lots of fun, hanging out in groups and spotting that yellow patch on the crown of the birds head as it migrates from Mass to Mexico. So for now I'll be a 356 watcher. I could scrap up the money to buy but to me the more they cost the more I have to worry - so less fun. There is a NJ holiday coming near me next year, I might attend as a watchers, I'll have to learn about Holidays as a watcher. Like the birdwatchers I'll learn how to spot those cheesehead screws. If the price bubble collapses I can jump in and buy otherwise I'll just have fun as a 356 spotter.
My wife has a parrot, if that's any indication I'd prefer to be a watcher.
Steven: Plenty of affordable 356s out there if you're not hung up on having a concours car, an A model, a sunroof, an SC, a Cabriolet, a Roadster or a Speedster. The plain jane coupes are plenty fun, the 356C (which I have) is a blast to drive. It looks nearly as good in the garage as those other models and you can find them for half the price of the car under discussion. No one around here knows or cares that the engine and transmission in my car are not original, and that nagging knowledge slips away fast when you accelerate out of a curve you just carved and hear that incredible sound from behind your head.

If you're price challenged but want to enter the club - look hard at T5 and T6 non-sunroof B coupes. Prices go down the less "story" and fewer original or #s matching bits the car has.

I'm slowly coming to accept the idea that an A will be out of my reach forever unless I sell my C to move up. If you want a concours show-winning car with a great story and one-owner start shopping MGs and Triumphs. They're still cheap. But personally, I'd love our club to gain another member.

My car for reference:

I agree, I can't see my engine number when I'm driving, while I love matching numbers cars for their rareness, in terms of fun, the smile on a curvy road is the same.
Also, Steven, call me, I think I have the perfect car for you.
Attachments
drive356-11.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#32 Post by Steven Murray »

Sean M Rooks wrote:If you want a concours show-winning car with a great story and one-owner start shopping MGs and Triumphs. They're still cheap. But personally, I'd love our club to gain another member.
Sean - thanks. BTW: It looks like there will be a MGA holiday in your town in June.
http://www.namgar.com/events/article/gt ... to_attend/

I picked up an OK MGA 3 years ago, maybe I should get it in shape and get down to Richmand.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#33 Post by Brian R Adams »

Steve Harrison wrote:I love that letter,..so polite and courteous.
And literate! He had a vocabulary, could spell, completed sentences, and could turn a phrase. Refreshing.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#34 Post by Brian R Adams »

Ok, I ask you: Which would you rather have for $33K, a '66 Porsche 912 or a '64 International Scout?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966- ... 2017-12-22

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964- ... 2017-12-22
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#35 Post by David Jones »

Brian, the answers you get will be biased. I am not in the slightest bit interested in the scout but I am sure there are many more people out there who are biased toward the scout than there are towards the 912. Probably in the heartland more folks will identify with the scout than the 912.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#36 Post by Jim Alton »

There's a somewhat originality-challenged 1956 Porsche 356A Speedster on Bring a Trailer now bringatrailer.com/listing/1956-porsche-356a-speedster-2.

It's had a color change and an engine change (apparently from a Super to a Normal). Might be an interesting comparison.

The auction ends Friday, December 29 at 11:20 AM.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster