59A on BAT just sold for big money

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian R Adams
356 Fan

Re: 59A on BAT just sold for big money

#16 Post by Brian R Adams »

jim nelson wrote:It was a great color combination originally--Stone Grey/Blue--
No, it was delivered Stone Grey / Black Leatherette. The recovered seats have a bluish tinge in the photos, but the original dash cover comes through as black. The seller stated emphatically the interior is black, even the seats.

Brian
Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-9.54.06-AM.png
Last edited by Brian R Adams on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#17 Post by Brian R Adams »

Adam Wright wrote:
John Lindstrom wrote: "You might want to run some of this through the dryer, we were printing all night, so some of it might still be a little inky."

He didn't see the humor, not one little bit, and I haven't made that joke again.
If he took offense at that joke, then he obviously has a personality defect. Keep using it.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#18 Post by John Lindstrom »

The global money supply is currently expanding like never before in history. Electrons travel at 1% of the speed of light, fast enough to circle the earth in seconds. “Siri, add another ten zeros to my bank account” says the central banker to his iPad. To me it is not comprehensible that there are still folks out there that think this market is simply in a “balloon”, that prices are magically going to come down. To the contrary, prices are just beginning to go up. Do people think that central bankers are just suddenly going to start playing nice in the sandbox? Keep your sense of humor at all costs..

James Watters
356 Fan

#19 Post by James Watters »

I own a 59A and am thrilled with how much money the car on BAT brought. You should all be happy especially if you're not in the market for a car. This is, after all, the 356 Registry so I assume everyone here owns a 356. If you don't, be happy for the rest of us!!!!!
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

I am not so excited about higher values as it is still just a car I love to drive and own. Now I need more expensive insurance. I am not selling. To me a high value just means other people really want one too, which does not affect my enjoyment much. It does make me feel kinda clever, however- a type of enjoyment.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I think that a premium was paid for this car because it was a 1 owner. That is the only way I can explain the price for condition, color change and non matching engine.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jim Nelson »

Brian R Adams wrote:
jim nelson wrote:It was a great color combination originally--Stone Grey/Blue--
No, it was delivered Stone Grey / Black Leatherette. The recovered seats have a bluish tinge in the photos, but the original dash cover comes through as black. The seller stated emphatically the interior is black, even the seats.

Brian
Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-9.54.06-AM.png
Thanks for the catch. Might have been wishful thinking on my part, that's how I would have done it...

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#23 Post by Brian R Adams »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I think that a premium was paid for this car because it was a 1 owner. That is the only way I can explain the price for condition, color change and non matching engine.
I don't see $90.5K as much of a "premium" for an 'A' coupe with a desirable original color code, and with all that documentation, including of nearly $5K DM (in 1966) body restoration performed by Porsche in Zuffenhausen. Hagerty suggests $80K for a #3 Normal 'A' Coupe, and they do not stipulate originality or numbers-matching components in their valuations.

James Watters
356 Fan

#24 Post by James Watters »

Brian R Adams wrote:
Doug McDonnell wrote:I think that a premium was paid for this car because it was a 1 owner. That is the only way I can explain the price for condition, color change and non matching engine.
I don't see $90.5K as much of a "premium" for an 'A' coupe with a desirable original color code, and with all that documentation, including of nearly $5K DM (in 1966) body restoration performed by Porsche in Zuffenhausen. Hagerty suggests $80K for a #3 Normal 'A' Coupe, and they do not stipulate originality or numbers-matching components in their valuations.
Did you see pictures of the car? I did. If you didn't, go to BAT and take a close look at all the pictures. I would say this car sold for about $20K over market for what it was. If you did a restoration on this car you would be totally upside down.
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#25 Post by Brian R Adams »

James Watters wrote: Did you see pictures of the car? I did. If you didn't, go to BAT and take a close look at all the pictures. I would say this car sold for about $20K over market for what it was. If you did a restoration on this car you would be totally upside down.
Um, yes ... I saw the pictures. I even posted one of them here. ;-) Your comment about market value is a reasonable opinion. You must feel the car is in Hagerty #4 condition for it to make sense to me, however, unless you're really suggesting that Hagerty's valuations are skewed above true market. But the comment about being upside-down after a restoration is really irrelevant. The same could be said for most 356s in any condition, and that fact has little or no bearing on market valuations. If folks only ever paid prices that leave them whole after a restoration, ... well, I think you see where that leaves your argument.

George Kehler
356 Fan

#26 Post by George Kehler »

I think well bought for the rare color and neat history. The documents and story are priceless and intangibles that evokes emotion. Great combo !! Thanks for the posting.
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#27 Post by Brian R Adams »

It's somewhat amusing, now, to note that the service manager at Manhattan Imported Cars suggested to Col. Mays (in 1968) that spending $1,116 rebuilding his engine would, unfortunately, be "disproportionate to the total value" of the car (i.e. would leave him "upside-down").
Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-9.57.24-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2017-12-08-at-9.57.34-AM.png

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#28 Post by Gary Cox »

Also interesting is the repair estimate dated 1968 includes $180 for "engine case" I would assume a new replacement case. I have a 67 912. When the first rebuild came along about 1972, it too was with a new case but the cost was about $300, iirc.

I wonder if cases were just consumables to many shops back then?
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#29 Post by Steve Harrison »

I love that letter,..so polite and courteous.
That shop was really looking out for that guy, I absolutely love it.

And four pushrod tubes? (When they’re only a buck-ten each)
Now that’s economizing. :D

And I agree with your sentiments George.
Family ownership, documentation, extra letters, etc.
Makes for a compelling story. You can’t buy time, but these things represent the next best thing.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#30 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Steven Murray wrote:Well in the world of BIRDS they have bird watchers and bird owners. The bird watchers seem to have lots of fun, hanging out in groups and spotting that yellow patch on the crown of the birds head as it migrates from Mass to Mexico. So for now I'll be a 356 watcher. I could scrap up the money to buy but to me the more they cost the more I have to worry - so less fun. There is a NJ holiday coming near me next year, I might attend as a watchers, I'll have to learn about Holidays as a watcher. Like the birdwatchers I'll learn how to spot those cheesehead screws. If the price bubble collapses I can jump in and buy otherwise I'll just have fun as a 356 spotter.
My wife has a parrot, if that's any indication I'd prefer to be a watcher.
Steven: Plenty of affordable 356s out there if you're not hung up on having a concours car, an A model, a sunroof, an SC, a Cabriolet, a Roadster or a Speedster. The plain jane coupes are plenty fun, the 356C (which I have) is a blast to drive. It looks nearly as good in the garage as those other models and you can find them for half the price of the car under discussion. No one around here knows or cares that the engine and transmission in my car are not original, and that nagging knowledge slips away fast when you accelerate out of a curve you just carved and hear that incredible sound from behind your head.

If you're price challenged but want to enter the club - look hard at T5 and T6 non-sunroof B coupes. Prices go down the less "story" and fewer original or #s matching bits the car has.

I'm slowly coming to accept the idea that an A will be out of my reach forever unless I sell my C to move up. If you want a concours show-winning car with a great story and one-owner start shopping MGs and Triumphs. They're still cheap. But personally, I'd love our club to gain another member.

My car for reference: