Squeaky Wheel

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
TimDevetski
356 Fan

Re: Squeaky Wheel

#16 Post by TimDevetski »

It stopped squeaking for a while. Then it started leaking. Then it started squeaking again. I took it to a shop that works on one of my other cars. They looked at both rear wheels and concluded that the brake drum was dragging on the backplate in certain spots due to a “wobble” that is occurring at the wheel. They think that the brake drums are not properly seating onto the axle, even when the axle nut is tightened down. There is a thick washer being used on each side between the axle nut and the brake drum, but even so, the drums do not fit tightly down either because (i) the axle is too long on each side, (ii) the tube ends are too short or (iii) the brake drums are not tall/thick enough. Does any of this make sense? I noticed the washer between the brake drum and the axle nut but assumed it was correct.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#17 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Tim
Dropbox link is no longer working but looking at the photos you posted this is a "B" Car? Two types of axle nuts. Earlier ones look like a "standard nut on the back side(that goes against the drum) These take the washer. The later style has an "integral washer" and no additional washer is used. From the pictures I think you should be using the Integral washer set up. I think your mechanic's may be onto something if you are bottoming out before you reach the proper torque that could be where your wobble is coming from. I had a similar situation when I put "B" brakes on my bus and I got some spacer washers from Martin Willis (the Machine Shop) and my problem was solved.
KTF- The answer will present itself eventually
Curt

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#18 Post by Vic Skirmants »

If you are using the separate washer, BE SURE THAT THE INNER CHAMFER IS AGAINST THE DRUM! If not, the washer will bottom out against the axle splines and prohibit proper tightening of the drum. All too common on earlier cars, causing worn splines on axles and drums. If your washer does not have the chamfer, it's a VW; toss it and get the correct hardware.

TimDevetski
356 Fan

#19 Post by TimDevetski »

Thanks so much for the responses! Yes, my car is a T6B