Petcock

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Garrett
356 Fan

Petcock

#1 Post by Greg Garrett »

My 1963 B coupe has developed a small gas drip under the front of the car. I jacked up the front end and removed the right front tire and checked the petcock. It looked dry but I tightened the wing nut under the lower “cup”. I then got under there and there is a short piece of fuel line between the petcock tube and the fuel line that runs back to the engine. That short piece of fuel line was wet on one end. I tightened the hose clamps and now I’m waiting to see if that took care of it but I have a feeling the short piece of fuel line has to be replaced. My question is, if I turn the fuel valve in the cabin to “off” position, will that stop the fuel from the tank above where I am removing the fuel line?
Thanks...

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Petcock

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Yes, if the valve is working correctly. Sometimes they dribble a little. Have a drip pan ready to catch fuel just in case. Try to pre-cut the new fuel hose just in case you do have a drip. The correct size original type hose does not require hose clamps but US made hose will need clamps because the ID is a bit large.

The steel line going into the interior is short and then there is another short length of hose that connects to the steel line running through the tunnel to the back of the car. If you found one hose leaking then the second hose should be replaced also. You will find it under the floor boards.

Look at the long length of hose under the car to the engine and the hoses in the engine compartment including the short section above the fan inlet. Old hoses are dangerous.
Last edited by C J Murray on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Greg, if you have one rubber hose leaking you probably have others leaking, or about to leak, also. Some members of our TYP356NE group have experienced leaks from the hose running from the tank to the steel line running through the center tunnel which resulted in a large deposit of gasoline in the tunnel itself and or under the floor boards in the cabin. The old rubber does not age well with today's ethanol gasoline. Be safe and use the opportunity to replace ALL the rubber along the fuel line, including the line behind the fan shroud, with fresh ethanol rated rubber before you wish you had done it sooner.

Jeff
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Greg Garrett
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Garrett »

Thanks for the input. Good advice.