A pleasant surprise

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Selleck
356 Fan

A pleasant surprise

#1 Post by Mark Selleck »

I'm not sure if this is being posted in the 'correct' segment of the forum, but it seems this is where a member is most likely to see it: My wife and I recently traveled to New Zealand, from our home in NC, and seeing a 356 in that country was not an experience I expected. On March 31 we spent most of the day exploring Queenstown, and we stopped in the local post office to purchase some stamps. Preparing to leave the building, as we approached the front door, a 'C' sunroof-coupe passed by, traveling slowly enough that I was able to exit the building and see the model designation on the rear of the car. I thought I'd say 'Hello!' to the owner, if he happens to see this, and let him know that seeing him driving around town was one more pleasant experience we had in his country.
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC

Bob Magowan
356 Fan

Re: A pleasant surprise

#2 Post by Bob Magowan »

Hi Mark
There are about 150+ 356's in NZ and many of them are driven on a regular and/or daily basis.....there are a couple of speedsters and a 356SC that reside in Queenstown so maybe it was the SC that you saw??!!

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#3 Post by Richard Shilling »

Below is the listing for the NZ 356 club. My wife and I visited New Zealand in 2003 and drove the "Carrerra Down Under" in a borrowed 356. We still talk about it! Great bunch of people.

356 Down Under

c/o Porsche Club NZ (INC)
PO Box 34-356
Birkenhead Auckland 0746 New Zealand
nz356downunder@xtra.co.nz

www.porsche.org.nz
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Mark Selleck
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Selleck »

Thanks for the replies. It's possible the car was an SC. I know that my SC insignia gets 'lost' a little sometimes, depending on the angle of the sun from my viewing position. I'm not sure of the color of the car I saw. My first impression was of a beige, but the closest 'C' color to what I saw would be Champagne Yellow. My first two 356 coupes were Champagne Yellow, and it's still a favorite of mine, though I've seen some examples that are 'different'. The car I saw looked a bit 'different'. Of course it could have been painted a different color.

I'm surprised at the number of 356s in NZ. It seems to be an unusually high number for the size of the population. It was a pleasure seeing the one I saw.
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC