Fitting exhaust pipes through C bumper guards

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
ralph bauer
356 Fan

Fitting exhaust pipes through C bumper guards

#1 Post by ralph bauer »

I'm putting new bumper guards on a C and seeking info on any techniques to fit the chrome exhaust tips through the cut out in the guard.
The outside diameter of the chrome tip is 1/4 inch larger than the opening in the guard.
Solutions that come to mind are grinding/filing the guard opening larger or putting the chrome tip in a vice and compress the shape of it.
Neither solution sounds very attractive to me. The grinding may damage the chrome and compressing the tip will turn it into an oval.
The guards I'm replacing are both cracked as a result of apparently the prior installer forcing the chrome tip through the opening.
Workable solution is to install small diameter pipes or forget about them and turn the exhaust down and don't use the opening in the guards.
Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions you offer.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Fitting exhaust pipes through C bumper guards

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

The exhaust tips should be round on one end and somewhat squared on the other. The squarish end is the end that is inserted from the rear. Tap it in using a block of wood. It is a press fit. Some have used a sheet metal screw to make sure they don't get lost. Mine seem to stay in OK without the screw. Don't force them too far or you'll be looking for more bumper guards.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

I did as you are reluctant to do. I compressed the unfinished end in the vice until it fit then hammered it in with a big dead blow rubber hammer. They are very tight and the round end has stayed round.
I guess you could do it from the inside but that means removing the bumper assembly.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

ralph bauer
356 Fan

#4 Post by ralph bauer »

Wes, David—Thank you for your thoughts
I removed the chrome tip from the funnel and if I understand you correctly the "squarish" end is the end that exits the guard. In other words, the round end of the tip is closest to the exhaust system. If that is so that makes sense because that appears doable. The reason I ask is because they were previously installed with the round diameter of the guard exiting the guard.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#5 Post by Emil Wojcik »

They are press-fit into the guards, squarish end first, from the outside of the guard--not from inside. So the round end is facing out from the bumper, not closest to the exhaust. Sounds like you're trying to put them in backwards unless I'm reading you wrong.

I had to use a vice to gently squeeze the square end so it could then be forced into the guard.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#6 Post by DonCichocki »

+1 what Emil said, round end out, squarish end inserted into funnel in bumper guard. A piece of wood against the round end then tap in with a dead blow mallet.

ralph bauer
356 Fan

#7 Post by ralph bauer »

It makes sense now with your help and explanations. I now see the chrome exhaust tip is tapered. Thank all you gentlemen for your help.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

I have added a small feature. I drilled a small hole at the squarish end of the 'tip and attached a section of good wire to that and then to one of the bolts above holding the bumper. Cheap and easily reversible if removing the bumper. That way if the tips ever come loose, they aren't going into the bushes!
Last edited by Mervyn Hyde on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#9 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Good idea, Merv. Others have similarly used a screw.

When I first installed mine using a hammer with a block of wood to protect the tip, I didn't pound it in hard enough. I took the car out for a drive and didn't get much past my house when I thought I heard something knocking around on the road, but then thought it was my imagination. When I came back around the block I could see the glint of chrome in the middle of the street a couple houses down from mine.

After hammering them in more securely, they haven't come out again. That was probably 10 years ago. Now I wonder if I could get them out if I wanted to.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#10 Post by Jim Liberty »

All good advice. ..........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jon Schmid »

Emil Wojcik wrote:Good idea, Merv. Others have similarly used a screw.

When I first installed mine using a hammer with a block of wood to protect the tip, I didn't pound it in hard enough. I took the car out for a drive and didn't get much past my house when I thought I heard something knocking around on the road, but then thought it was my imagination. When I came back around the block I could see the glint of chrome in the middle of the street a couple houses down from mine.

After hammering them in more securely, they haven't come out again. That was probably 10 years ago. Now I wonder if I could get them out if I wanted to.
I had mine tack welded. Works like a charm.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

I once bought a pair that were made of some sort of super human NASA material that refused to compress in a vice. What little movement I could get sprang back when the vice was released. Was it bad of me to sell them at Hershey? I just wasn't man enough to install them. :wink:
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

I am probably in the minority here, I like the look of slightly blackened bumper guards, makes it look like it gets driven (it does).
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've dealt with the same type CJ has. Very sturdy! One has to be careful they don't split the funnels when you insert them. I guess ideally they could be placed and tack welded in a bumper guard before attaching the bumper to the car.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

They could only be welded to the funnel, the guard itself is pot-metal and cannot be welded.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna