Premium Fuel rattle can resistant black paint vendor?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Premium Fuel rattle can resistant black paint vendor?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hey all and Happy Holidays,
I have a leak at gas tank sender unit on T2 356. When it's full after a drive my tank looks like the picture.
I think I have a cork gasket underneath. Does Stoddard or ? make a rubber or better then cork gasket?
Getting tired of repainting the tank with Rustoleum Hi Heat black paint.
Is there a type of Premium fuel resistant rattle can black paint or custom can paint to solve this?
What is the correct black color finish for this gas tank gloss, Matt, flat ?
Thank you,
KTF,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_1285.JPG

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Premium Fuel rattle can resistant black paint vendor?

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Steve,

The original(?) aluminum-based sender is most likely warped from age-tightened screws and if tightened too much, the cork gasket won't seal. Also, if the sender's electrical connection thru the base is loose, fuel will get thru--Use an epoxy sealant to cure.
The tank doesn't need a hi-temp paint; I use Krylon's Semi-Gloss (or lately it's labeled a Semi-Flat) or equiv.

Dick

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Only one to use is Eastwood's Chassis Black, Satin or Gloss. They also have an Extreme version. Not cheap, but works. Better than anything else I've ever used.
Krylon will wash right off.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

Never had a wash-off w/Krylon sealed w/clear lacquer.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Proctor »

Steve, check the solder where the neck joins the tank. This happened to me in 1997 when I drove the Speedster home from San Francisco to Tucson. At the time, there was MTBE (ETHER) in the gas and the leak got me so high I had to stop for an hour to clear my head. I stopped at one of the catalog places, maybe Automotion, on the way South and bought a new blue gasket which of course, was ineffectual because the problem was not the gasket. In your case, guessing that the neck is leaking and gas is pooling in the well at the sending unit which makes it look like you have a leak in that area. The California gas pumps that require retraction of the rubber seal put a recurring load on that area which could contribute.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ned Gorski »

i gave up on over the counter rattle cans years ago on anything engine related ... The NAPA store next to me has a paint center .. They can mix or match a custom automotive grade paint any color and put it in a can it's about $25 it goes down great call around possible there is one close to you . or just google automotive paint and your town . most places are now offering custom automotive paints put in a rattle can .

Regards Ned
55 Cab

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

In addition to what Dick Weiss said about the sender being warped, the filler cap may have an internal leak where the bottom structure is glued to the outer skin. Plus, the air vent hose may be plugged which can force leaks out of the tank at the sender and cap -- all to prevent stains/removal of paint and gas odors.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Weiss »

Thanks Brad,

I forgot to mention that problem as it happened to me many years ago until I resealed the cap's assembly.

Dick

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

I like SEM chassis black. The sheen looks right, and it is gas proof. Comes in a quart kit with hardener. .................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Al Zim
356 Fan

#10 Post by Al Zim »

The rubber gasket you are looking for is a 477.919.133.00 which Zim's sells for $8.00 plus shipping. This is a must for all 356 gas tanks. No mater what you do the cork gasket will deteriorate over time. al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi and thanks all for responding.
Yes the sender is warped and there is a rubber gasket below it.
I guess some guys will try to flatten it back to shape or just shelve it and get another.
I know its not from the main big fueling hole as it was repaired in the front in the recent past.
I used some good epoxy around the sender hopefully that will cure the leak. Small round piece on top of sender in the middle is also loose I cannot figure out how to tighten it.
One small step at a time.
Cheers all.
Steve

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Brad Ripley »

Not to further commercialize this forum, but Stoddard NLA offers a nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR) gasket, part number: NLA-201-891-00 at the favorable price of $5.97, plus shipping. Brad Ripley 800-438-8119 http://www.nlaparts.com

Fred Winterburn
356 Fan

#13 Post by Fred Winterburn »

VHT brake caliper paint is reasonably resistant if not impervious to gasoline. Fred
steve raucher wrote:Hey all and Happy Holidays,
I have a leak at gas tank sender unit on T2 356. When it's full after a drive my tank looks like the picture.
I think I have a cork gasket underneath. Does Stoddard or ? make a rubber or better then cork gasket?
Getting tired of repainting the tank with Rustoleum Hi Heat black paint.
Is there a type of Premium fuel resistant rattle can black paint or custom can paint to solve this?
What is the correct black color finish for this gas tank gloss, Matt, flat ?
Thank you,
KTF,
Steve

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#14 Post by Steve Raucher »

Well knowing that my original dated fuel sender is warped pretty bad does anyone repair or restore them?
You guys that have the same issue, do you shelve the original sender and just buy a reproduction? How is the quality of the reproduction senders?
Thank you,
Steve

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dick Weiss »

Yes Steve, I've restored a fuel.

Dick