Too Much Is Never Enough

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Too Much Is Never Enough

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

Some of you who like me who are from the MTV Generation will remember the likes of Billy Idol saying this. It was the first thing that popped in my head when I went to buy a couple of cars this week. I made the deal on the 2 cars and then guy asked if I wanted some motors, 14 in total. Never one to say no I agreed. The problem was I had a single car trailer, so how do I get it all home? We got creative and it was a scary ride home, through a lake effect snow storm by the Great lakes, I hate this corridor any time after Thanksgiving.
What we ended up doing was filling the bed of the truck with engines. That left us a bunch, which we front loaded on the trailer. We then took the back off the trailer after loading the car, with the front hanging off the trailer. But that left us with 3 engines, what to do? We took the gate from the trailer and put a 2nd tier on the trailer, it worked! We made it home, it wasn't a fun ride, but all arrived safe.
Too Much Is Never Enough indeed!
Attachments
0.jpeg
0.jpeg (25.15 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
1.JPG
2.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

Re: Too Much Is Never Enough

#2 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

"This week, on Hoarders..."
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Adam, please look for engine # 712052 just in case it is buried in that lot. By the way congrats on the creative loading. I doubt I would have attempted that but I always hate towing no matter what. I was always paranoid and a pain in the ass when towing the race car.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I'm so jealous of guys like you Adam that make a living recreating great classic Porsches. -especially those who can build panels themselves.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Charles H Jacobus wrote:I'm so jealous of guys like you Adam that make a living recreating great classic Porsches. -especially those who can build panels themselves.

Chuck
On a good day, we do both! Seriously, I'm just glad I get to share my adventures here and in the magazine. Glad people are enjoying the stories.
Attachments
30.jpeg
40.jpeg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#6 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

Nice haul Adam! I am looking for engine #64715. I sent you an email a while ago looking for 5 wheels date stamped 8/56. Please advise, thanks.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Harrison »

You mentioned two cars in the deal.
Did you make that run twice?

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ned Gorski »

Adam
time to install a board or two across the front triangle of the trailer..perfect spot for that extra motor or wheels .. love the spyder project. . when in doubt straps it
how many straps do you buy a year ?

Regards Ned

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Ned Gorski wrote:Adam
time to install a board or two across the front triangle of the trailer..perfect spot for that extra motor or wheels .. love the spyder project. . when in doubt straps it
how many straps do you buy a year ?

Regards Ned
Anytime Harbor Freight runs a sale, I buy the max I can under the sale price. I was once in the store and had a cart filled with straps, the girl at the register asked how many I had, I answered,
"How many did you have on the shelf, because I took them all!"

Every car that leaves here is strapped, it adds up $$$ wise, but it's not worth the risk of the car getting damaged in transit. I like the "criss-cross Apple Sauce" method, it holds the hood down and the doors closed with 2 straps. Also, strapping the doors closed deters thieves at the port.
Attachments
IMG_8038.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG
3.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Harrison wrote:You mentioned two cars in the deal.
Did you make that run twice?
I'll pick up the other one in the Spring, wild horses and naked ladies couldn't get me to do the great lakes corridor again this time of year.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Leo Dreisilker wrote:Nice haul Adam! I am looking for engine #64715. I sent you an email a while ago looking for 5 wheels date stamped 8/56. Please advise, thanks.

Leo,
My entire list of engines is here:
https://www.porsche356registry.org/classifieds/15126

I only have 1 8/56 wheel right now, sorry.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

#12 Post by Christian Guthrie »

Adam, might be time to build a full length roof rack on your open trailer or maybe buy a stacker enclosed trailer!!! Nicely done getting it all home.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hey Leo,... or Adam for that matter,...I’ve got one 8/56 wheel too.
KPZ, perfect condition, currently painted in Pearl Grey.

I’ll trade for a 7/56 Lemmerz similar condition.
Would trade a 6/56 KPZ too.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

Christian Guthrie wrote:Adam, might be time to build a full length roof rack on your open trailer or maybe buy a stacker enclosed trailer!!! Nicely done getting it all home.
The problem I quickly run into with going bigger on trailers is my truck can't handle it. I have always bought the base 1500 Silverado because upgrading is about $10,000 per 1000, i.e 2500, or 3500.
I recently got a free enclosed trailer full of 356 parts, I bought the contents and the trailer was free.
I loaded it to the gills, and getting home was very scary, my truck had a hard time pulling and a terrifying time braking, the trailer brakes were not working. I put it in the corner of the yard, put shelves in it, and promised myself I would never drive it again.
I did pull off the brand new tires I put on the get it home from PA.
Attachments
IMG_7871.JPG
IMG_8617.JPG
IMG_8623.JPG
IMG_8624.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com