I Just Had To Follow You

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

I Just Had To Follow You

#1 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Running errands in the '59 Coupe since the weather here on the Olympic Peninsula was remarkable good, at the curb consulting my iPhone for an address, a very nice lady appeared at my door.

"Excuse me, but I just had to follow you and I'm so glad you have pulled to the roadside. When I saw your car, you simply can't imagine how it is pulling at my heart strings. You see, my husband and I had this very same car down to the color and interior. We were married in the mid '50's and barely had two nickels to rub together and we both simply loved the 356. Along about 1962, we finally could afford the car and we just loved it! My husband drove me to hospital in it for our first born and a couple of years later as our family grew, number 2 son came along and well, you know, family priorities and all, we traded the car in for a Datsun 210. That was a sad day".

She went on to tell me of other experiences they had with the car and it was all quite interesting and charming. At our departing words, she told me that I was a "Good Will Ambassador" for the 356 community and that seeing the car had given her such wonderful memories.

Another very good reason to keep our beloved tubs on the road. One simply never knows what good we can bring to others.
Attachments
IMG_1514.JPG

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: I Just Had To Follow You

#2 Post by C J Murray »

That's NICE! Warm feelings all around!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Great story Dan. It looks like you are on the dry side of the peninsula. My brother lives in the Rain Forest at Quinault.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Dan, the least you could have done was taken her for drive. Whenever someone shows more that a passing interest at Porsche cars n coffee I offer them the keys to whichever car I am driving that day and I love to see the surprise on 911 owners faces when they open it up or take a curve correctly. For modern Porsche owners who never knew the 356 it is a revelation.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

There a few cars that just make everyone smile, the 356 just may be the best of them. I'm the same way with a Citroen 2-CV, and Fiat 500.
Jim Liberty

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#6 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Hoorays! What a great story!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Neil »

No story to go with it, a half dozen years ago I took my then still young kids in the 356 to get our Christmas tree. Some woman was completely enamored with it, taking lots of pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0121.JPG
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

NICE !!!
Jim Liberty

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#9 Post by Wes Bender »

Several years ago, I had the '55 Austin-Healey entered in the Run to the Pines car show in Pinetop. It was Sunday morning, the judging had been completed the day before and we were sitting around behind the cars, socializing. A lady came down the row of cars and, when she saw the Healey, stopped in her tracks. She then proceeded to walk around the car, looking at everything about it. As she approached the back where I was sitting, I could see that she had tears streaming down her face. I wasn't quite sure what to say, but then she asked if it was my car. I answered in the affirmative. She then proceeded to tell me that, when she was in college, her boyfriend had a car exactly like this one. They went everywhere in it. Unfortunately he was killed in an accident. When she saw my Healey at the show, it brought back a flood of memories. I had a hard time choking back tears myself as she told me the story. Eventually she regained her composure. I let her sit in it and took her picture with her camera. When she left you could tell it had been a very touching experience for her (and in a way, for me too).

As several have stated, the best thing you can do is get these cars out where folks can see them. They represent an era that contains a lot of memories for a lot of folks.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Just Beautiful
Love the memories...
Real People with real feelings
A 356 can make real friends...

Perry Pessia
356 Fan

#11 Post by Perry Pessia »

That's great. I think people's reactions to the car is the best part of owning it. I have a Volvo 1800 that gets similar reactions.

Ed Lawrence
356 Fan
Tag: Keeping the 356 Faith!

#12 Post by Ed Lawrence »

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing.
Ed Lawrence
1959 sunroof coupe
Instagram - @the.ed.lawrence
www.356sog.org