Poor Convertible D Top Fit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Max Imber
356 Fan

Poor Convertible D Top Fit

#1 Post by Max Imber »

Just added a Convertible D to the stable. Currently trying to sort a few things out on it and was wondering if anyone might have a solution for my issue with the top.

The top had shrunk quite a bit over the years and took some time to finally get it stretched back out and latched to the windshield again...however, once latched there is a massive gap between the windshield frame and the leading edge of the top. Any ideas on how I could improve the fit?
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: Poor Convertible D Top Fit

#2 Post by Jon Schmid »

Wait, your top is latched with a gap like that? Good Lord. Every winter I put my top up in the garage for a week or so (before my next drive) to stretch it out and it's a pain to latch it--and there is no gap. I can't believe you were able to latch that top with that kind of gap. 8)

Max Imber
356 Fan

#3 Post by Max Imber »

Ha I can say I am at a complete loss... no idea how to close such a large gap--and yes, it is an absolute nightmare to latch.

Is the canvas just so tight it is bending the leading edge back?

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

You might try soalking the fabric with a vinal conditioner for a couple day. Use a spray bottle cover th seats, then heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun and stretch it when warm. The vinal needs to be softened then it may fit. Be careful when stretching it the windshield frame only has two bolts and the glass does not like any flexing. I would push it down with a weight or maybe a cargo strap slowly until it fits. Mine comes with in a 1/2 inch of the guide, before I push it down to engage the clip
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

If you check the archives, you'll find horror stories regarding fitting Speedster and D windshields; they break. Mine took the third windshield glass back in the '70s before all was well; the second seemed fine until day three when I went to the shop to continue assembly; cracked down the middle.
My point here is that it might well be cheaper to take the car to an upholstery shop to see if they can 'adjust' the top fabric or even replace it compared to the windshield-fitting boogie.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

George Walling
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Walling »

Max, Congrat's on the purchase of your D. I never leave my top down on my Speedster when not driving it just to keep it stretched. I keep my Top treated with a good top conditioner I treat the top every time I wash the car. I just spray a layer on the top and wipe of as the directions recommend doing. I also usually let the car set in the sun light and get warm after treating it with the top up this has seemed to work well keeping the top stretched over the years and my top was replaced 40+ years ago and is still in great shape except for a few stains. If this doesn't help I would suggest getting a shop to replace the top it has to be cheaper doing this than replacing a cracked or broken windshield. Hope this helps and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
George E Walling

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

Try unlatching the front of the top and let it spring back to whatever shrunken state it wishes to be in. Put a terrycloth towel on top of it, near the leading edge. Put a board on that, followed by a concrete block. Let it sit that way and see if the entire top starts to stretch sufficiently for you to latch it without the large gap.

I would guess that you tried (and succeeded) in latching the ends, but the center didn't cooperate.

Edit for future readers of this post: Don't try the concrete block method of stretching the top if there is any chance that the fabric may fail and dump the block on your windshield/hood or into the interior of the car. Use a little common sense.
Last edited by Wes Bender on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

I agree, take it to a top shop, let them adjust as needed, that gap is too big to do yourself.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jules Dielen »

I am slightly surprised your windshield has not cracked from all that force. it does not take much..
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Max Imber
356 Fan

#10 Post by Max Imber »

Yikes, I will make sure to keep the top unlatched until I can get it properly stretched. Thank god it did not crack the windshield. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Can anyone recommend a conditioner that might aid in the stretching? I will try to weight it first and set the car out in the sun. If that fails I'll take it to the shop.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Max,

Latching that top to the windshield is as close as any 356 owner can come to being on the "Bomb Squad"-if the windshield doesn't break when you release the latches, you should buy a Lottery Ticket- today is your lucky day!

Stephen Masefield
356 Fan

#12 Post by Stephen Masefield »

Check out our "poor cousin" - The Ghia convertible. Not exactly the same issue but not too risky to try either....will be trying this on mine when it's not freezing outside !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2goOF25LDZ0
around 7 minute mark -.
Steve
'57 Coupe
'61 Sunroof Coupe
'79 911SC Targa (Stupidly sold)
'23 Subaru BRZ (poor mans Porsche)
Ford Diesel to haul 'stuff'