Speedster COA ? on Bring a trailer

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Speedster COA ? on Bring a trailer

#1 Post by Tom Coughlin »

The COA shown for this car on BAT states 60669 (Matching Numbers). I have two COA's for my Cab. and neither says the matching number part. Is that something new?
That COA shows the same for the tranny-"matching numbers" yet the text in the car's description states that the tranny is not the original. This leads me to ask if the COA is original.
Has anybody seen the phrase "matching numbers" on a COA?

Tom
 KTF, member #15

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Speedster COA ? on Bring a trailer

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Tom, yes that was confusing. I guess the COA has "matching numbers" now but it is not needed obviously. It still only means that it left the factory with that transmission. The pictures show that the car has a later BBBC trans and no attempt was made to change the number.

Don't worry too much about "matching numbers" anyway since some well known shops are stamping numbers.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

VINdB shows 7620 as transmission in 1999 17620 on BAT so typo in 99.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jules Dielen »

the 'new' COAs from Porsche show this 'matching numbers' if the owner provides them with the numbers and they are indeed a match to how the car left the plant. If an incorrect number is give to Porsche it will just say 'not matching'.

How the BAT speedster has the wrong transmission yet has a COA that shows the original number is indeed a little odd.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ed Pimm »

I believe the COA will state 'not confirmed' if the number given is not the same number as it left the factory.

Ed

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

Porsche, being risk adverse as they are, should just list what the car left Zuffenhausen with. Anything else is just unverified BS. If you guys are correct Porsche has just made the COAs a joke.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ed Pimm »

The reason for the change with the COA is because Porsche is risk averse . If Porsche continued to give out COA's with all the matching numbers, they could be seen as complicit if someone was sold a car with forged numbers. By only verifying a number to be matching it reduces exposure to foul play.

Ed

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

I see your point but I see problems also. Since the data is "out there" in the public domain the owner requesting the COA can give the numbers to Porsche and get a COA that suggests that Porsche has certified has matching numbers by having "matching numbers" written beside the number. Therefore when the next owner discovers that they have a car with re-stamped numbers they will go after the coconspirator with the deep pockets, Porsche.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

George Kehler
356 Fan

#9 Post by George Kehler »

Very good point, C.J. Almost brings more liability to Porsche by making this blanket statement. George
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#10 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Can't you just visualize the scammers now? Find the correct data (even though let's the engine is not matching), use it to get a COA, and then use the piece of paper to flog car as "Matching".

Now we know that "matching numbers" on the COA translates to "matches data provided to PCNA".
 KTF, member #15

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ed Pimm »

I'm far from being a lawyer, but I think many smart lawyers were involved in Porsche's decision to change how they deal with the COA. I'm sure there are hundreds of Porsches whose owners have ordered a COA previously and found that their engine or trans didn't match. This info is out there and could be used to defraud a buyer. I'm also sure, because of the change in COA application, that many more thousands of early Porsches with a COA that says matching numbers will truly be matching numbers.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Alton »

I understand Porsche's rationale even if the new CofA policy does strike me as overly cautious.

It does seem odd that they'll put "matching numbers" on a CofA if the owner gets the numbers of a long-gone engine or transmission from a Kardex.

The 1956 Porsche 356A Speedster on Bring-a-Trailer isn't going to be the first choice of originality enthusiasts what with the Weber carburetors, VW jack, [incomplete] reproduction toolkit, and not too original chromed wheels.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster