rear bearing problem in 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
fran kelly
356 Fan
Tag: shore bird

rear bearing problem in 356C

#1 Post by fran kelly »

A friend while driving with me suggested I might have a rear wheel bearing issue, no real sound except a very slight thumping noise, barely perceptible and no performance issues - new tires also. Any experience with this and symptoms/signs one might hear/feel would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fran Kelly

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

Re: rear bearing problem in 356C

#2 Post by Jay Darlington »

you could jack up the offending wheel and spin it and feel for roughness, noise or being lose. its not a big job or expensive to change a rear wheel brg. I would do both.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jay,
I'll disagree about it being easy, unless you have the factory pulling tool.
Getting the bearing out without that is tricky, but there are techniques. It has been discussed but I have hd no success searching for such.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

I have successfully pulled the rear wheel bearing off on VW's as well as 356's using a two leg puller without issues by pulling the axle tube off the shaft. You do have to remove the retaining nuts off the diff cover to do it but just use it as a good time to R&R the axle tube and boot. Be careful to replace the paper gaskets with the same number and thickness.
Also be careful not to pull the axle shaft out and dislodge the fulcrum plates. I have never displaced one but I understand it is possible to do so.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

fran kelly
356 Fan
Tag: shore bird

#5 Post by fran kelly »

Thanks for the comments - jacked up car and spun wheel and also moved it in and out, and then back and forth - some play when moving back and forth but doesn't seem like its a big deal as other rear wheel also has some back and forth minor movement as well. Any further thoughts here? I am not inclined to pull the bearing off at this point.
fran kelly

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

I heard that noise once. Turned out to be the Oak Ridge Boys on the radio.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#7 Post by Heidi Frances »

So, ya say a new tire? You might want to swap the tires around and see if the sound follows the tire. Any rim damage? Bubble on the tire?

Franny

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Wildrick »

fran kelly wrote:Thanks for the comments - jacked up car and spun wheel and also moved it in and out, and then back and forth - some play when moving back and forth but doesn't seem like its a big deal as other rear wheel also has some back and forth minor movement as well. Any further thoughts here? I am not inclined to pull the bearing off at this point.
fran kelly
I had a strange slight "thumping" coming from a rear wheel on my 65C coupe. Turned out to be that the hubcap emblem had become slightly loose. It only took a few dabs of silicone rubber to silence it.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#9 Post by Al Zim »

The track in the rear axle is determined by the thickness of the shims between the axle tube and the plat on the side of the transmission. If you have in and out play, the gaskets should be replaced. Lift the side of the car up and loosen the outer axle boot clamp. Remove the 6 nuts on the flange. Use one or two .20mm gaskets (VW will work) cut the gaskets at the top bolt hole and install. TORQUE ON THESE NUTS IS 15 FT LBS. To check the hub, remove the nut and see if the hub rotates. It it does replace it. Fortunately these are available new. DO NOT REMOVE THE AXLE FROM THE SPRING PLATE. YOUR CAR WILL HAVE TO BE ALIGNED FRONT AND REAR ! It was probably not correct when you started. This is usually a $200.00 to 300.00 job. al zim, fixing Porsche's since 1961. My personal phone number is 817-267-4415
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/