Gasket sealent on oilstrainer gasket and lugnuts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lars Hvidsteen
356 Fan

Gasket sealent on oilstrainer gasket and lugnuts

#1 Post by Lars Hvidsteen »

I have a very hard time to get the aera with the oilstrainer/drain plug tight. Can I use a gasket sealant on the on the 2 gasket and treads
for the lugnuts?

what do you use?

Thanks

Lars
Attachments
IMG_20171203_110308_resized_20171203_113309341.jpg
Porsche 356 B T6 1962/7 Slategrey/Coralred
Porsche 911 1966 Bahamayellow/Black pipita

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: Gasket sealent on oilstrainer gasket and lugnuts

#2 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Other are far more experienced than me Lars, but make sure the plate itself is truly flat and then with new brass washers was well on the nuts. I have used a small amount off sealant on the nuts on occasion.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

It is difficult to keep that area dry. Try Hylomar, then maybe Yamabond, last resort is a very high grade silicon sealer. Hylomar is great because there is no clean-up required at the next oil change. Yamabond can be cleaned with carb cleaner but it is a bit of work. I never use any silicon sealer near where oil is pumped/circulated so that nothing gets blocked by excess pieces that might come loose but the high end stuff doesn't tear easily and if you apply it without excess it is very safe. It is hard to clean though.

If you get the sump plate totally dry you will be a hero of us all.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

+ 1 Hylomar (and note that there are several variations of Hylomar for various special purposes, but the Blue is pretty universal and should take care of your issue)

Added by edit: Clean the plate with brake clean and allow it to dry (doesn't take long) before re-assembling with the hylomar.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Lars Hvidsteen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Lars Hvidsteen »

Is it the blue Hylomar and how do you use it? do you put in on the whole surface of both gaskets and onto the 10 threds?

thanks

Lars
Porsche 356 B T6 1962/7 Slategrey/Coralred
Porsche 911 1966 Bahamayellow/Black pipita

Ashley James
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ashley James »

Hylomar is WW2 technology and useless compared to the best of today’s efforts.

My favourite is Loctite 5699 Grey which is impervious to water and oil and claims to seal a 1mm gap! Never tried that, but it is extremely effective and not expensive. Obviously it is one of a million different silicone adhesives.

Google for the Loctite range for details of their different flange sealers.

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Las, a thin "smear" on both sides of the gasket is all you need. It won't hurt to put a bit on the threads as well, but likely it will get there when your tighten the nuts anyway. The good thing about the Hylomar is that it will separate when you want to remove the gasket, and the gasket can be reused (it you keep it clean after removal) and it will reset when you tighten it back up.

Jeff

Added by edit: Yes, it is the Blue Hylomar.
< Jeff >

2009 997.2 Carrera S

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

A somewhat more expensive fix, although pretty much permanent, would be to use the machined aluminum sump plate sold by Precision Matters. They don't flex or warp.

(Not affiliated with PM. Just a satisfied user.)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

Hi, I believe Curt Dansby is making rubber gaskets for the sump. Take a 1/2" flat punch, and hit the holes in the plate, not too hard, just get them flat. The 2 - rubber seals do not leak. You will need NO sealant.
Jim Liberty

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#10 Post by David Jones »

Not sure why you would consider any sealant on the lug nuts. Just keep them clean. I have only ever used a small squirt of penetrating oil if I have one with tight threads then a wire brush to clean them.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Hohensee
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jim Hohensee »

Most sumps seem to leak because the nuts have been over tightened and the plate is raised around each hole. Straightening by hammering and then hand smoothing on a flat surface with sandpaper will usually work. Also check to see that the rivet is tight. Even though it is not original, I like to use nylock nuts which I think Lars is referring to as "lug nuts". It always seems as though after a few days and heat cycles that you can easily get another 1/2 turn on the nuts.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#12 Post by Greg Bryan »

Wes Bender wrote:A somewhat more expensive fix, although pretty much permanent, would be to use the machined aluminum sump plate sold by Precision Matters. They don't flex or warp.

(Not affiliated with PM. Just a satisfied user.)
I agree - no leaks or seepage since installing said plate ...
Greg Bryan

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Proctor »

I installed Ron's trick PreMat aluminum sump plate with the trick new magnetic drain plug. Only after I installed, I looked at the instructions (hey, I'm a guy) and noted that they provide the required exposed length of the studs included in the kit and the admonition to Locktite the studs in place. I had not used the Locktite and had adjusted the length of the studs while I tightened the nuts by using the provided allen wrench, carefully ensuring that the same number of threads were exposed below the washer / nut. That worked, but I soon noticed oil was leaking down the studs with drops from the ends of the studs, not from the case / strainer / cover interface. Lesson learned on my part and regardless of whether using the stock plate or the Pre-Mat option, I would highly recommend using the Locktite on those stud threads and will do so at the next oil change.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

Good advice Steve.
And you have plenty of company (like me) who learned this the same way you did.

Jeff
< Jeff >

2009 997.2 Carrera S

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ron LaDow »

Steve Proctor wrote:[...]I had not used the Locktite and had adjusted the length of the studs while I tightened the nuts by using the provided allen wrench, carefully ensuring that the same number of threads were exposed below the washer / nut. That worked, but I soon noticed oil was leaking down the studs with drops from the ends of the studs, not from the case / strainer / cover interface.[...]
Steve, muy amusing...
Anyhow, all threads (except pipe threads and stud-fit threads) have a helical path on the side opposite the tight side of the mating M/F threads and the oil will find its way out that way. Hence the loctite. The nylock nuts won't stop it as the nylon does not deform sufficiently to fill the entire thread depth and the oil would leak around the washer even if it did. No gasket or sealant will keep the oil from leaking that way, not to mention leakage around that rivet which is no longer fully set.
Yes, those threads were stud-fitting threads 'way back in the stone age; they're not anymore.
And thanks for the mention, guys.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz