1957 VW Oval-window beetle
1960 VW Panel
1963 Type 3 Karmann Ghia
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
2003 BMW M3

Post subject: Re: Sweet Score...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 pm 
356 Fan

Hey Thom, hopefully catch up at Kelly Park/Red Barn? I have been on a far away (and very salty) island for a few years...changing brakes on golf carts instead or cars...except for the summers when back in California :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:02 am 
356 Fan

Another old Porsche soon back on the road and someone has some more money in their account.

Win/Win. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 am 
356 Fan

That 59D could not have ended up in a better place! The 356 world now has another cool owner who will invest his sweat equity to bring that car back to life. My take is there is no gloat here just good fortune and a friend sharing a really good story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
356 Fan

Post more about the cars revival and when it is up and running.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 pm 
356 Fan

I sure as heck hope your buddy does the necessary mechanical work, and then just drives, drives, drives. Really cool to see an unrestored car that isn’t so far gone it can’t be used. They’re only original once.....

Way cool.

The other thing that stands out is that, although your friend wasn’t actually driving the Karman Ghia, he had it “out and about” on the trailer. That’s the easiest way to find other like minded folks...get your car out and drive it. Though I’ve not yet had someone come up to me and ask me to get “one of those” out of their back yard,...I have had some good conversations with old dudes who used to have one.

I got one of my turbo rings for the Conti from a guy who was driving his 356 and was approached at a gas station by a lady who said she had a bunch of stuff from those kind of cars her late husband had stacked in the basement of their house. He got a decent pile of pre a parts.
She might have tossed that stuff if she hadn’t seen his car. Now I have one of the rings.
It’s all good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm 
356 Fan

Hey Drew! Haven't seen you in a long time as well! Great find for your friend! These are the best kind of deals.

I'm in a similar situation. I bought a 56 recently and as the PO and I were talking we realized we had probably crossed paths in the Bus world years ago at various shows and what not and even at the '89 Sacto Bug In. He had remembered the Manx I took with my body shop group to the show back then. For the 356 he had owned and driven the car since the mid nineties, it was his wife's daily driver for years. Was hard to part with but they loved that we were from the same VW circles so was happy it found a good home.

Now for the past couple months I've gotten it all taken apart underneath, rebuilding everything and now over the hump to where I'm starting to put it back together with clean refreshed (mostly original) parts to get it on the road after nearly 10 years of non operation. Found a lot of interesting things about the car in the process, just love this stuff!

Cheers,
Cory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:39 pm 
356 Fan

...I don't see the problem, most of us started with sweat equity at one time. My old '57 T1 N coupe, had been rolled once, to get it into my poor '64 college student budget, and that experience, lit a passion for the 4 cylinder Porsches, which has lasted me since '63, the year before I found one I could have for my own, Kudos, to the seller, and the young buyer!

...and Welcome! ( need I warn anyone it is addictive?)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: Drive 'Em!
Stoked for Dre on his 356 find. I didn't know the backstory on how he found it or should I say how it found him. It's definitely in capable hands. He own's some sweet split window buses too! If anyone is on Instagram you can find more foto's of his 356 & his buses under his IG handle @Redrum_VW

Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe
I have just finished (is it ever really done) restoration of my 1957 coupe..
I was really just thinking about how much fun and work.. it will be to start putting that car back together again.. looks like the roof, well actually the whole car needs love. It could be a lot of love / and a ton of $$ or just enough love to get it going down the street.. and the day it does go down the street, is the day that I am sure both the buyer and the seller will have big smiles on there faces !!!