Request for separate SUNROOF Forum

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
jim saunders
356 Fan

Request for separate SUNROOF Forum

#1 Post by jim saunders »

There are a couple of sunroof requests on the Talk Forums at the moment, members looking for Sunroof info. I have a 1965 Sunroof SC and know how difficult it is just getting help, let alone finding parts. The Parts book diagram has been the most help for me. But Porsche no longer have this stuff available, so i have had to find other sources, for correct fasteners and parts, and I think this info would be good to have in one place. Such as the spread sheet that Bob Watts has. I have sent photos of parts and installed areas of my car to members looking for help. There is a comment on the Registry at the moment from a member saying they wouldn't go near any of the Sunroof stuff. I think someone is asking if there's a 'Sunroof Guru '. I think it would be great if the Registry website was the 'Sunroof Guru'. Hence this request for a dedicated place here, same as the Pre-A Forum. Wouldn't it be great if all the combined info from each member, together with photos, could be all together in one place. I only ask for this as there is just so little around, except for the little bits that different members have discovered for themselves. To have info and photos available for everyone would be magic. If this request could be given some consideration, I for one would be most grateful. Thanks, jim.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Request for separate SUNROOF Forum

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

Jim,
In your country, you can find Stoddard NLA sun roof cables in stock at http://www.rsp.net.au/RareSpares.aspx plus, you may find other Golde sun roof stuff used on Holden cars in your country.

Here in the US, Stoddard NLA supplies a few more items for both the manual and the electric roofs. Golde roofs were installed on several US makes, notably Ford products. From my experience, hunting down sun roof parts was always a challenge. The German Golde company was never of any help. It was folded into at least three companies since the '70s. Pretty much anything not presently available you will have to make yourself.

The American Sunroof Company was once quite a force in after-sale installation of Golde roof systems.
A German, Heinz Prechter, put sun roofs into the US market -- read his interesting entrepreneurial story here http://automotivemileposts.com/aschistory.html

jim saunders
356 Fan

#3 Post by jim saunders »

Hi Brad and thanks very much for your post and the interesting info.
I have heard of Rare Spares here, but have always bought direct from Stoddard NLA.
Long long ago, in about 1964 I think it was, my employers in New Zealand, had a very successful year, and both bought themselves a new car each. A Holden. Not long after, I was asked to take some work to a client for a presentation. And was given the keys to one of these new vehicles. I have managed successfully to keep well away from any of them ever since, and in fact think it has been a major factor in reaching my ripe old age.
So my preference is to pay the freight from Ohio.
Just recently I was possibly your first customer to get the new rubber pieces you have kindly reproduced, and there have been other valuable purchases as well. I think I got my new cables from you a good while ago. Constantly searching for parts, over a long period, has turned up a NOS set of Guides, would you believe, and you very kindly sent me the very last original rubber emergency opening cover. All this makes it sound as if there are parts out there, but the opposite is true. I don’t know where the parts supply went, if there ever was one. I think it’s possible that all the sunroof clips that would normally have produced parts, were kept and then grafted onto another body. So, parts is one problem, and the other is understanding how the whole thing fits together and works. They’re a little bit tricky. Hence my request for a dedicated Sunroof forum. If we could get all known info together, with photos even, including all that Bob Watts has amazingly done, we’d be laughing. Anyway, a sincere thanks Brad for all your invaluable help. jim

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Bryan »

Jim - we could make a Sunroof 'Sticky' to provide a place to consolidate Sunroof questions and advice.
Greg Bryan

jim saunders
356 Fan

#5 Post by jim saunders »

Hi Greg and thanks very much for your reply and suggestion. I guess a 'sticky' would be a good idea. Thanks. Anything to get any info together would be a benefit I think. Bob Watts has done an amazing amount of work getting stuff together, and I just felt a bit of support for him wouldn't hurt. I have also sent a message to Curt, together with my request, which is what I should have politely done in the first place. Curt has replied and very kindly said he'd bring up this request at the next Registry Trustee meeting. Easy for me to ask for a SUNROOF Forum, but as Curt said, it needs a moderator, and I imagine the pay is not all that crash hot. We all depend on you volunteers, and thanks to you all we get an enjoyable read or a solution to our 356 problems while we enjoy our breakfast every morning. It would be perfect if a sunroof car owner had the time and skills to be able to take this job on. So I guess we'll wait and see. Thanks a lot Greg, jim

Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

#6 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

Along the same lines: I need to dismember my sunroof and re-assemble it so that it closes properly
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3

jim saunders
356 Fan

#7 Post by jim saunders »

Hi Thom, Perfect timing !
I wonder if it would be possible to write up your procedure, and if possible take some photos along the way.
It doesn't matter whether you can help a little or a lot, everything would be most welcome for us Sunroof owners to learn from. The more info/photos we can eventually reference the better I think.
Please keep us posted Thom, thanks a lot, jim

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

Here http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin/ar ... ?f-20.html you will find a forum on Golde roofs.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#9 Post by Trevor Gates »

I'm all in favor of a separate sunroof section given my interest in the cloth sunroofs, however a sticky may be more practical with links to different threads on identification, diagrams, repair, where to buy replacement parts, etc.
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

No problem with adding links to other threads - give a description of what will be found to help potential searchers.
Greg Bryan

Greg Spreeman
356 Fan

#11 Post by Greg Spreeman »

Golde...were they the manufacturers of the sunroofs and mechanicals as opposed the Reutter, Porsche, et al?
Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC Coupe
1964 356C Coupe
2001 996 Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 914
1965 356C Sunroof Coupe
1989 911 Carerra

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#12 Post by Greg Bryan »

Golde was the supplier of the entire sunroof system to Porsche for the at least the later 356 and the early 911/912. Auto manufacturers rely on suppliers to develop and manufacture many of the complex systems - think of Bosch, Ate, ZF, wheel and tire suppliers, glass, and so on. Actually, Reutter supplied the completely built body up until 1964.
As Brad mentions above, the company has been acquired several times and I suppose still exists in some form under a different name.
Of course, today the sunroof/moonroof is a very popular option and there are quite a few suppliers to meet the large demand. One of today's largest supplies of sunroof system is Webasto, another old-time Porsche supplier.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Bryan »

A Sunroof Help sticky has been created in the Authenticity Corner Forum
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45139
This sticky is dedicated to the technical aspects of the 356 sunroof system and its repair and maintenance.
Greg Bryan