Battery Ground Strap connection

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
gregg hake
356 Fan

Re: Battery Ground Strap connection

#16 Post by gregg hake »

Thanks for all your input, gentlemen. That L shaped piece does look familiar so I will dig out my "what the heck is this?" box this weekend and see if I might have the part already.

Thanks Again.
Gregg

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

gregg hake wrote:Hi, All,
Im getting ready to add the battery to my 62 Cab restoration, but I am unable to find any documentation or photos on how the battery ground strap actually connects to the floor bracket directly in front of the battery.
Whatever "mystery nut" that goes inside this bracket seems to be never spoken of !
Please, what is this nut (?) size and matching bolt size?
Thanks Much...
Gregg:-
Perhaps helpful; herewith a photo of my unrestored '65C cab's original battery box, showing the covered battery clamp with its bolt and the battery's ground cable connection.
- Wil
Attachments
Battery Box-2.JPG

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#18 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Be sure to carefully clean the front surface of the welded bracket, where the ground strap is clamped against...proper grounding cannot be made if the surfaces are painted or rusty. Wil's photo shows a clean, unpainted surface, which is what you want.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#19 Post by David Jones »

You may also want to look at the picture of that "L" shaped bracket in the Stoddard catalog. There is a piece of rubber hose pushed on to it so it is cushioned agains the battery and does not gouge it plus allow for some compression clamping force.
http://www.stoddard.com/64450103707-nla.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715