License Plate Bracket?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Kathy Martin
356 Fan

License Plate Bracket?

#1 Post by Kathy Martin »

How do you California 356 owners affix the front license plate on your cars? As you know police officers can be sticklers about front plates in California...

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: License Plate Bracket?

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Kathy, there was a topic last year about that, see http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/t ... ense+plate lots of good solutions there.

Here is what I did recently. I bought the clamps that go on the overrider bar from Wolfsburg West. See http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... m?ID=ZVW16 And I had a piece of thin acrylic cut to fit over the plate to protect it. Those with modern plates needn't bother.

You did not say what 356 model you have, so my solution may not work for you.

Best regards,
Attachments
front_plate_mounting.JPG
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Shawn Wilson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Shawn Wilson »

I only run a '56 plate in the rear with no registration stickers on it or on a small plate above it. I have yet to have a problem. If I where to get pulled over I have all the documentation in the glove box. To my knowledge it is only manditory to run a front plate if it is original equipment. I do not believe it pertains to these cars. Lastly the cop would have to be a complete ass or you would have to prevolk a ticket. Then it's only a fix it so who cares.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#4 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Shawn Wilson wrote:I only run a '56 plate in the rear with no registration stickers on it or on a small plate above it. I have yet to have a problem. If I where to get pulled over I have all the documentation in the glove box. To my knowledge it is only manditory to run a front plate if it is original equipment. I do not believe it pertains to these cars. Lastly the cop would have to be a complete ass or you would have to prevolk a ticket. Then it's only a fix it so who cares.
Shawn

Do you live in California? If you do, you better get up to speed with our current DMV laws. It is manditory to have a front license plate. I don't care what year of car or year of the plate. You need one on both ends of your car. You can also be charged a serious amount of money for not having A front plate. The "fine" could be called an "administative fee", though. John Copello makes a front license plate bracket for 356B and C cars. He can be reached on this forum. I understand he will be at the LA lit meet, as well. Brackets from 356As are of no use, in this case.

Note: Do as I say, not as I do. I don't have front plates on any of my Porsches......shame on me!

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

"Note: Do as I say, not as I do. I don't have front plates on any of my Porsches......shame on me!"

We'll appreciate your contribution to the general fund.
/s/ You CA government.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#6 Post by Roy Lock »

Shawn
As you know, the cops in Rossmoor have been issueing tickets for driving 27 MPH's in a 25 zone, so for them to give you a ticket for not having a front license plate is consistant with their current policies.

The "fix it" ticket carries many "adminstrative" fees that will jack the ticket north of $100. A talking on a cell phone ticket is what? $10? But when you add in all the admistrative fees, it is well over $200.

I won't call all policeman "asses" who patrol our neighborhood. Some are actually pretty nice guys and stop to say hi from time to time as they too are car enthusiasts.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

Shawn, your Profile shows you live in California, where the law is that a front plate is mandatory on ALL cars. I didn't use one for years but recently put one on after numerous reports of the police ticketing cars without a front plate. For vintage plates the reg stickers are required to be affixed the small metal plate the DMV provides that attaches to the rear plate. And the fine is much more than a "fix it". You are welcome to roll the dice and hope for the best...

Best regards,
Barry
Shawn Wilson wrote:I only run a '56 plate in the rear with no registration stickers on it or on a small plate above it. I have yet to have a problem. If I where to get pulled over I have all the documentation in the glove box. To my knowledge it is only manditory to run a front plate if it is original equipment. I do not believe it pertains to these cars. Lastly the cop would have to be a complete ass or you would have to prevolk a ticket. Then it's only a fix it so who cares.

#8 Post by Guest »

Kathy Martin wrote:How do you California 356 owners affix the front license plate on your cars? As you know police officers can be sticklers about front plates in California...
Vince Cappelletti, a long time member, makes (made?) a badge bar that can be installed on the front (at least of a T6) bumper with NO modifications. It appears something similar to the over rider bumper displayed in Barry's photo of his A. It has nicely made collars that permit installation of the license plate as well as grille badges where the badges won't interfere with air flow through the grilles. The bar itself is made of stainless steel and has stood up quite well. I don't know if Vince is still doing these or not, but, mine was worth more than whatever I paid - it is very well done.

If you think you're interested let me know and I'll take a picture and post it in my spare (hah!) time. The custom made California Car Cover fits over the badge bar with no difficulty so the car can be covered, unlike with the surf racks.

As to whether or not to have the plate displayed as required by CA law the adage: "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" would seem to apply.

Kathy Martin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Kathy Martin »

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I have a 1961 T5 Notchback. No bars on the bumpers...I will check the topic from last year, hopefully I'll get some ideas. My father had a 1961 T5 but I can't for the life of me remember how the front plate was attached.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

#10 Post by Roy Lock »

Kathy, if you are in SoCal, come to the Literature Meet Saturday and the Phoenix Club Swap Meet Sunday. I'm sure you will find what you want there.

Bill, can you post details of the attachement?
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

Back in the day, when we weren't so concerned about authenticity and such, I remember just bolting it to the body under the front bumper. That was then and this is now, so I wouldn't recommend going that route. Of course, that was before I escaped CA to a different climate......

Go for the Cappelletti attachment (or fabricate your own) and sleep well at night. CA law enforcement officers are some of the nations finest, but I wouldn't feed their keeper any more than you have to.

Roy, Cool is a small town (and a neat state of mind) in northern California east of Sacto.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jack Staggs »

Barry, it is against California law to put any type of covering, clear or otherwise, over a license plate.

Kathy Martin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Kathy Martin »

Wes Bender wrote: Cool is a small town (and a neat state of mind) in northern California east of Sacto.
Wow, I'm surprised you know where Cool, CA is! Impressive :D

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#14 Post by Wes Bender »

Spent 30+ years in Nevada City and traveled all over the Sierras and foothills during those years. My wife was in the Placer Co school district a long time and retired from being the administrator at Chana in Auburn. Cool is cool. Good country to be owning and driving a 356.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#15 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Kathy Martin wrote:
Wes Bender wrote: Cool is a small town (and a neat state of mind) in northern California east of Sacto.
Wow, I'm surprised you know where Cool, CA is! Impressive :D
Kathy

John Copello is in Volcano, not too far from you. He makes a front plate bracket that does not require any holes and will not damage your car in any way. As long as you operate your car in the foothills and stay out of cities that have red light cameras, you should be good to go with no plate. I doubt that your local law enforecment officers have ever issued a ticket for no front plate.

Regards
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410