Knecht Air Cleaner Paint

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Knecht Air Cleaner Paint

#16 Post by Dick Weiss »

All, There's no problem w/fine dust blasting the cleaner(s); You can flush them out using water, blow air thru them to dry, and spray paint them w/Krylon's Dull Aluminum (or equiv.); Then lightly Lacquer Clear-coat them which seals the paint and let them cure.

Any mesh air cleaners require a light spray of oil to filter dust/dirt--pending on how much "off-roading" you do.
I use WD 40 to clean them as needed.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#17 Post by Jim Clement »

how do you / can you keep the internal mesh from rusting after you have cleaned them ?
I chemically cleaned them, and then after i washed my car.. the small amount of water caused them to visibily rust, and run down the filter a bit.. looks poor..
I have re cleaned them and wondering if I should just submerge them in oil to get all of the mesh covered ??

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#18 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Alan Hall wrote:...I doubt that the mesh was not painted. The air cleaners are assembled by spot welding..,
I apologize if I’m repeating someone else’s comment re Mr Hall’s statement but it’s incorrect. The oblong Knechts used with P40II s are assembled by sweging the five mounting ports top to bottom, only encasing the stamped metal gauze which only ‘floats’ within the upper and lower covers. Separation is easily accomplished by carefully drilling the bottom (preferred for easier reassembly) five encapsulating flanges.
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#19 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Jim:

To answer your concern about rust, I sprayed my air cleaners with orthophosphate, which I obtained from a painter friend. I imagine that they could be dipped as well to ensure a complete exposure. This pretty much arrests any attempts by the rust monster. Flat surfaces are then lightly sanded to smooth out the surfaces, and mine painted up real well after that procedure. I believe that you could get the product at an auto paint supplier.

=rds

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#20 Post by Alan Hall »

Steve is correct regarding the oval Knecht mesh air cleaners, my comment regarding spot welding applied to the earlier round Knecht mesh air cleaners. But in either case I believe the mesh was painted along with the rest of the air cleaner.

Robert Thiemrodt
356 Fan

#21 Post by Robert Thiemrodt »

Dick,
What clear coat product are you using? I've read the instructions on two brands, and they specifically read not to use with aluminum paint.
The left lane is for passing, MOVE OVER!!!!

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#22 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Dick try VHT ESP184007 Clear Coat Wheel Paint Can

David Campbell
356 Fan

#23 Post by David Campbell »

I have seen a pair of Knechts on the classifieds that the seller claimed were cleaned using a ultrasonic system. I think that's common in aviation community for certain aircraft parts. Has anyone ever checked the pricing to have air filters cleaned with that technology? I wish I could remember the seller's name as he may have a source.

I have had good luck with VHT Caliper paint in silver; it is not too dull or too shiny aluminum finish.
1961 B Coupe
1966 VW Type I
1987 944 NA
2000 Boxster S

Cory Evens
356 Fan

#24 Post by Cory Evens »

When I started on mine I first was able to strip off the top and bottom pretty easy but the mesh got gummed up horribly. So i figured while plating all my hardware on the 56 I had mine chem dipped and cad plated along with everything else. I had to fix one with JB Weld where the inside tabs came apart and it held up well through dipping and plating. I then sanded just the top and bottom, masked the mesh off and painted with DupliColor Universal Silver as out of several different silvers I tested it was a good match to an original silver wheel.

Keeping the middle part plated, matches the top and bottom pretty good and to me seems like it'll take the oil better and not gum up after future cleaning or repainting if ever needed.