Morning Ouch

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Morning Ouch

#61 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:So the motor was disassembled, that's much better than buried like a potato, unless the parts were stored inside the car which eventually became buried like a potato. Was the transmission not dissolved and "matching" to the Kardex? If so and the engine parts were usable then you represented the car fairly. That doesn't make the car worth $14k and the Leprechaun(cute touch) had better have started with an even bigger pot of gold if he wants to have any gold after the sale of his "matching numbers" T5 coupe. It's a loser. Only very special cars should be brought back to life once they get that bad.

Fool still applies in my opinion. That's what a forum is, opinions. When you have the courage of your convictions you tend not to be upset by opinions that differ from yours.

I have been looking for an article you wrote about an early 911S for sale down south that turned out to not be a 911S when you got there. Could you post the link to that here? I would be grateful.
That story ran in ESSES, so start digging. Like I told the kid next to me in 3rd grade,
"I'm not here to do your homework!"

And concerning your opinions, I don't think anyone is un-happy to be disagreeing with you, I think people are finding it offensive in your delivery. Like I said, next time you run for Trustee, remember what I'm saying...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#62 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I am waiting to see if Adam bids here at the end.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#63 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:I am waiting to see if Adam bids here at the end.
I can honestly say I haven't bought a car off the internet in years, and I mean years. So don't hold your breath for my bids on this one.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#64 Post by Doug McDonnell »

But you could have had a trip home and it sold for $4201
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#65 Post by Jim Karaba »

A lot of good info in this thread to watch out for in ads. One of my pet peeves, and I am seeing it used here, is the term one owner. I own a 73 914 that I got from the guy who bought it new. But the car is not a one owner car any more. I am the second owner and the car is a 2 owner car now. All cars were one owner cars at some point. The only person that can go around quoting "one owner car" is the person who bought it new. Adams car for example would be considered a 3 owner car. So after hundreds of hours of restoration the new owner can state they have a 3 owner car. Did you not pay for the car Adam? If so then you were the second owner.
Then when you sold it the next person became the third owner. I see this all the time and the person claiming the car to be a one owner is not the original purchaser, so there by negating the claim.

Rant over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#66 Post by Adam Wright »

Jim Karaba wrote:A lot of good info in this thread to watch out for in ads. One of my pet peeves, and I am seeing it used here, is the term one owner. I own a 73 914 that I got from the guy who bought it new. But the car is not a one owner car any more. I am the second owner and the car is a 2 owner car now. All cars were one owner cars at some point. The only person that can go around quoting "one owner car" is the person who bought it new. Adams car for example would be considered a 3 owner car. So after hundreds of hours of restoration the new owner can state they have a 3 owner car. Did you not pay for the car Adam? If so then you were the second owner.
Then when you sold it the next person became the third owner. I see this all the time and the person claiming the car to be a one owner is not the original purchaser, so there by negating the claim.

Rant over.
This is kind of an on-going theme, what is "one-owner". The industry standard is a re-seller who briefly owns the car, only for re-sale, is not an owner in the chain of ownership. Obviously, this can be argued in either direction but I go with the industry standard which you can interpret any way you want. Since my name wasn't on the original title I'm obviously not the original owner, nor could I be since I wasn't born until 14 years after the car was sold.
I picked up a car last week, bought from the original owner, a C Coupe. His name is on the Kardex and the title, I will not transfer the title to keep the ownership chain. Since we are a licensed dealer we don't have to transfer titles.
Attachments
blueC1owner.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

#67 Post by C J Murray »

Adam Wright wrote:Since we are a licensed dealer we don't have to transfer titles.
In PA a dealer has a very short limit of time until the vehicle must be brought into the dealer's name. There are a number of reasons for this. I am surprised NY doesn't have a similar rule.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#68 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:Since we are a licensed dealer we don't have to transfer titles.
In PA a dealer has a very short limit of time until the vehicle must be brought into the dealer's name. There are a number of reasons for this. I am surprised NY doesn't have a similar rule.
You're probably surprised by a lot Cliff...
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#69 Post by Jim Liberty »

All right you two. Grumpy is watching. Christmas is coming you know.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#70 Post by C J Murray »

Hi Jim, Is this guy too much or what? Yet another rude response to a simple observation. He does know that I am a six franchise licensed dealer in PA. I didn't dispute his assertion about the NY vehicle law so I have no idea why he is upset, again.

For the true insight to the kindness, niceness, respectfulness of Adam towards members of the Porsche community please refer to the article he wrote about the time he was dealing with a southern gentleman to purchase an early 911S. It didn't go well and Adam spared no sympathy in describing the seller. Pot, kettle, black.

More on subject...I read some of the comments on BAT regarding Daryle's car, very amusing. I'm not the only not nice snob but I will say that I am very happy for Daryle, well sold!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#71 Post by Jack Walter »

Yeah my dad thought I was totally out of my mind when I drove this home in the fall of 1971... 46 years later I think I did pretty well
Attachments
JeffriesPorscheProfilecrop2.jpg
april73-1.jpg
april73-1.jpg (75.66 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Last edited by Jack Walter on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#72 Post by Adam Wright »

Jack Walter wrote:Yeah my dad thought I was totally out of my mind when I drove this home in the fall of 1971...
Sometimes you even wonder yourself, "why did I buy this?"

I did a 12 car deal down south a few years back, two of the cars were rough A body's, a 58 and a 59. Getting them home was a real headache, we had to make special carts to get them on the tractor trailer. When we were going to all the trouble I really wondered if it was worth it. Guess what, it was. As we were pulling one of the A bodies out of the earth, my friend Jim Watson walks over and casually mentions,
"I won at Daytona in that car."
WHAT WHAT????
He ran it as a 1300, and said the Factory MG team showed up, the Healey team was there, he punted them all off the track and took the checker. When I asked why he threw the car in the mud he said,
"By 69 I was racing my Spyder"
The Spyder he still has.
You never know what you're buying, and every once in awhile, you get real lucky. I bet Jack knows that feeling.
Attachments
FL47.jpg
FL45.jpg
FL43.jpg
panotruckshot.jpg
court1.jpg
court1.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
carts.jpg
watsonmossnewnew.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

#73 Post by C J Murray »

'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

robert e gwaltney
356 Fan

#74 Post by robert e gwaltney »

nice post Adam, that's pretty special, thanks for sharing, robb
Robb Gwaltney

71 911 T Coupe RS Outlaw, white
62 356B Coupe Silver Metallic
95 HD FLSTN
2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition
1998 E36 M3 track car
2007 BMW 650i

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#75 Post by Dick Douglass »

Adam,
You remind me of Esmeralda Geishe, from a small farm in Panama. Thank you for bringing your car to market and thank you for the person/persons who bought it for $ 14,200.
Basic Econ 101 says " the market will will reflect the value at that moment."
You placed that car in a no reserve auction. You disclosed the facts as known to you.
Esmeralda placed 11 pounds of coffee in a no reserve auction, and bidders researched the facts.
You waited for the market to define the value.
Esmeralda waited for 5 hours and watched 250 bids for the coffee beans.
You were successful, and you saved a 356 for the future.
Esmeralda was successful and shipped 11 pounds of coffee beans to Rancho Cucamonga, California, where it was reported on 10-18-17 that the11 pounds of coffee beans will make coffee and be sold for $55.00 per cup!
Forbes said there are only 3 places in the world where this coffee will be sold, and CuCa U is the only place in the United States!! Not 90210, or Silicon Valley, or Pebble, or Newport Beach, or PA,or at the 917 in Carson.

Adam you are what "Retail" means. As John told me years ago at lunch in La Jolla, "Retail is easy...sell people what they want."

Adam/Esmeralda the market has spoken.