Morning Ouch

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
bob lerche
356 Fan

Re: Morning Ouch

#31 Post by bob lerche »

The finish line.
Attachments
Porsche Registry Page 3 41-4.pdf
(403.45 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#32 Post by Dan Epperly »

I am one of those guys who bought a turd of a red B normal, bashed in the front, taken apart back in 1974 in buckets, needing everything. I did everything myself from bodywork to interior to engine build and did it for far less than what someone would pay for a done car. Like Adam said there is room for both the check writers who pay someone to change their oil and crazies like me who want to do everything themselves.
BTW my wife's and I took it to Palms to Pines this last weekend and had a blast.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

If I was retired (without a 356), broke, and not feeling too lazy I could make either of those into a good driving, decent looking car using my MIG welder, several large sheets of steel, and a couple of gallons of polyester filler. Not a show car, a big waste of time, but there can be reasons for doing it. Some people like a challenge.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ed Pimm
356 Fan

#34 Post by Ed Pimm »

Adam Wright wrote:
C J Murray wrote:Adam, I couldn't do to anyone what you did to the poor bastard that bought that car. Go ahead, call me a snob again. I imagine that's all you've got.
I have a story I tell when people laugh at people for buying rough cars and say things like "fool" and "poor bastard".
A friend of mine bought a Porsche in the early 80s, he really really wanted one but he was a service tech at a Porsche dealer, so he didn't have much money, he had some, but not a lot. He searched and searched and finally found the car he wanted, except it had been in a house fire, so half the body was melted, and the motor was gone, but he could afford it and it was the Porsche he wanted. So he paid $10,000 for it, and everyone laughed and laughed, he was such an IDIOT! Well, he has spent the last 30 years restoring the car, little bits at a time. He used to do oil changes on 944's all day every Saturday in his driveway so he could pay the body shop on Monday. He even located his original motor.
So now he has the car almost finished, and I don't think anyone is laughing considering his license plate reads 1B4DEAN, that's right, he owns 550 Spyder 0054.
So calling someone a fool now because you can't see their vision is short sighted. Lots of guys have way more ambition and time than money, and the Porsche world is a better place because of it.
Adam, I couldn't agree with you more. This club is a great source for Porsche enthusiasts to get information, parts and share knowledge to restore, drive and maintain their cars. We should all encourage the rescue of any 356. The only thing I disagree with you is calling the previously quoted member a snob, a--hole would be a better description.

Ed

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#35 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

bob lerche wrote:About 5 1/2 years ago I purchased my 1962 S/R Coupe on a local Craigslist for $14,500. I dragged it home, was severely scolded by my wife and humiliated by my friends. To keep my marriage in tact, I had to sell my 1961 VW convertible that I owned for 30 plus years. I learned as much as I could and I was fortunate to be mentored by Tom Conway and Jim McMullen in Boulder. Except for 2 days at a paint booth, everything was done in my garage. I found some guys on Craigslist that would come over periodically to help weld new panels and get the body work done. It's been a long process but I couldn't afford to just "write a check" and have really enjoyed the journey. Financially, I am "right-side up" on the car. Perhaps the best dividend is that my twins have a stronger appreciation of perseverence, risk, and reward. Oh, by the way, the car found it's way on the inner cover of the recent Registry magazine...a fitting way to cross the finish line.
Pictures of finished product are where?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#36 Post by C J Murray »

Post some detailed before pictures Dan. It looks great now, good job!

I can already see that Bob's '62 sunroof was at a reasonable starting point and after all it is a sunroof and the clip alone was almost worth the price he paid for the car.

The car in Adams article has mud inside up to the dashboard and has been sinking into the dirt since 1970. If I sold that for $14k I would be bragging too, until I thought about the reception that the car had with the new owner. If the new owner posts some pictures of the car finished then I will applaud his skills and fortitude. Even then I will wonder how much more that person could have accomplished by spending their time more wisely on more worthy projects.

The only way that $14k plus transport makes sense for that car is if I were a car thief and needed a clean title for a stolen car. I wonder how many of the fright pigs are bought for that purpose?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#37 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Geez! My take on this is the buyer will just have to keep it longer. Hope he or she is much younger.
With all the flaming where’s the moderator.
You all have a Happy Thanksgiving,
Rusty
Rusty

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#38 Post by Dan Epperly »

Hey Cliff, this is the disaster I started with after I cut the nose off and the bag of walnuts that doubled as the battery tray. And then there was the lumpy rear.

ray nelson
356 Fan

#39 Post by ray nelson »

Happy Thanksgiving Guys
Just got to say I respect both Adam's and CJ's opinions and contributions to the forum. I don't think either one has anything but the best interests in seeing than the continuation of the 356 series Porsches.
Ray
Last edited by ray nelson on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#40 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Post some detailed before pictures Dan. It looks great now, good job!

I can already see that Bob's '62 sunroof was at a reasonable starting point and after all it is a sunroof and the clip alone was almost worth the price he paid for the car.

The car in Adams article has mud inside up to the dashboard and has been sinking into the dirt since 1970. If I sold that for $14k I would be bragging too, until I thought about the reception that the car had with the new owner. If the new owner posts some pictures of the car finished then I will applaud his skills and fortitude. Even then I will wonder how much more that person could have accomplished by spending their time more wisely on more worthy projects.

The only way that $14k plus transport makes sense for that car is if I were a car thief and needed a clean title for a stolen car. I wonder how many of the fright pigs are bought for that purpose?
Cliff, there is one lesson you will learn out of this conversation. The next time you run for Trustee and lose it won't be because there is an incumbent conspiracy keeping you out, it's because your aren't nice to your fellow Registry brothers. Read the comments and see the reaction your elitist comments have received.
When you say people are fools and poor bastards, call their cars fright pigs, and accuse them of being car thieves, it doesn't really endear them to you. Remember what I said a couple of pages back, nobody likes a snob.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#41 Post by C J Murray »

Dan, yes it was rough, but I do see a basis for a car. You surely had a great amount of work ahead of you. It sure did turn out nice.

Apples and oranges though in my snobbish opinion.

If Arizona has the "Outlaws" can Pennsylvania have the "Snobs"?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#42 Post by Sean M Rooks »

bob lerche wrote:The finish line.
Fantastic result! With the replacement panels and parts offered by our vendors plus a lot of time if not skill I'd imagine you could rebuild a pretty sorry car. It's funny - if I had waited much longer to buy my C coupe, I'd be Adam's case study right now.

Here's to the guy who buys that poor B, regardless of its future.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#43 Post by Greg Bryan »

Rusty Ferrell wrote:Geez!
With all the flaming where’s the Moderator?
Rusty
Well, the moderator is watching - when one calls the other a jackass and the other comes back with asshat, I’ll put a stopper in it ......
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#44 Post by Martin Benade »

Greg, you are doing a nice job. Very moderate. Thanks
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#45 Post by David Jones »

One very positive thing to think about when taking on a project like that is when done it will have a clean title, unlike my cabrio which has a salvage title, but I am still right side up on it I think but I may never know as I am likely to be gone when it gets sold.
I also saved a ton of money by doing it myself except for the paint. If I had painted it one would be able to tell from 20 feet away.
Pictures after and before.
Attachments
47 - Cabriolet - Finished.jpg
1 - Cabriolet - damaged front right.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715