Morning Ouch

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: Morning Ouch

#46 Post by Jim Liberty »

Vic, I'll hole 'em, you smack there heads together. The both of you are sounding like "Grumpy Jim".
Jim Liberty

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#47 Post by Jim Nelson »

Jim Liberty wrote:Vic, I'll hole 'em, you smack there heads together. The both of you are sounding like "Grumpy Jim".
You mean, me??

C J Murray
356 Fan

#48 Post by C J Murray »

jim nelson wrote:
Jim Liberty wrote:Vic, I'll hole 'em, you smack there heads together. The both of you are sounding like "Grumpy Jim".
You mean, me??
At least they didn't call you "Snobby Jim". :P
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#49 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Lovely, wish I owned it salvage or not.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#50 Post by Jim Liberty »

You guys know, I am the original "Mr. Grumpy" not you.
Jim Liberty

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#51 Post by Erik Thomas »

Some guy in Poland has a completely hand fabricated brand spanking new 356 body assembly already made and waiting. He is going to swap over the mechanicals, and a few other parts, and have a numbers matching car. ( hopefully )

You can purchase a brand new MGB-GT body shell assembly. Why is it not done for 356's?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#52 Post by Adam Wright »

Erik Thomas wrote:Some guy in Poland has a completely hand fabricated brand spanking new 356 body assembly already made and waiting. He is going to swap over the mechanicals, and a few other parts, and have a numbers matching car. ( hopefully )

You can purchase a brand new MGB-GT body shell assembly. Why is it not done for 356's?
Dynacorn has done it with Mustang's and a bunch of other American cars. I know there are a couple of people working on long hood 911 bodies. Haven't heard of anyone who has done it with a 356.
Attachments
newmustangbody.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#53 Post by Greg Bryan »

I was talking with one of the sheet metal replacement venders at last year's Lit Meet in LA saying I'm surprised that no one has yet produced an all steel Speedster body 'kit car'. He said, "It's coming."
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#54 Post by Martin Benade »

That could be a very nice substitute for the real thing.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#55 Post by Adam Wright »

Greg Bryan wrote:I was talking with one of the sheet metal replacement venders at last year's Lit Meet in LA saying I'm surprised that no one has yet produced an all steel Speedster body 'kit car'. He said, "It's coming."
That mean's I will have to put plexi over my "Wall of Dead Cars". Every time I have an open house someone tries to buy a hinge cover, "There's several Speedsters up there? How much?"
Nope, nope, nopity, nope, you can build a car off a hinge cover.
Attachments
vinwallnew2.JPG
vinwallnew1.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#56 Post by C J Murray »

Daryle's car is at $3300 so I have two questions. Is his car worse than Adam's? What will be the "winning" price?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#57 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Trans not rebuildable and no engine so not really worth comparing to a numbers matching complete car. I doubt this current BAT "car" with break 5K. Nowhere near the figure Adam got.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#58 Post by C J Murray »

Correct Doug but if the engine and gearbox of the mud mobile were also buried in the mud they may have been just about as worthless. It just depends on their exposure to constant moisture. With mud up to the dashboard, well, who knows. Of course, maybe the engine was started up before the sale. Matching numbers, runs great?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#59 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Correct Doug but if the engine and gearbox of the mud mobile were also buried in the mud they may have been just about as worthless. It just depends on their exposure to constant moisture. With mud up to the dashboard, well, who knows. Of course, maybe the engine was started up before the sale. Matching numbers, runs great?
Cliff, before you throw out any more "guesses" on how I advertised my car, let me just list the ad as worded. You really need to get a new hobby man, this one is getting tiresome.

"Matching Numbers 1961 Porsche 356 B Coupe VIN 114729 Engine 604758
Here we have a car that is many things, one of which is very rusty. Actually to call this car rusty is an affront to rusty 356's everywhere, this car is rusty beyond belief. It was parked out back with a blown motor in 1976 and that's where I found it, where it was parked, outside, when Jimmy Carter was President. The irony is the motor that was blown was the original motor (See scan of Factory Kardex in pictures), which is still with the car, making this a matching numbers car. To add to the irony of the car is the title is dated 1961, so this may be a one owner matching numbers car, a true claim to fame! So after hundreds of hours of restoration you can say the words "numbers matching one owner 356" with a straight face. The other good news is the car looks fairly complete. The motor was dis-assembled but comes with several boxes of motor parts. The passenger seat is also included. The last piece of good news is the car is being offered at no reserve, so if you have more ambition than money and really want a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, this matching numbers car might make you a leprechaun! "
www.unobtanium-inc.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

#60 Post by C J Murray »

So the motor was disassembled, that's much better than buried like a potato, unless the parts were stored inside the car which eventually became buried like a potato. Was the transmission not dissolved and "matching" to the Kardex? If so and the engine parts were usable then you represented the car fairly. That doesn't make the car worth $14k and the Leprechaun(cute touch) had better have started with an even bigger pot of gold if he wants to have any gold after the sale of his "matching numbers" T5 coupe. It's a loser. Only very special cars should be brought back to life once they get that bad.

Fool still applies in my opinion. That's what a forum is, opinions. When you have the courage of your convictions you tend not to be upset by opinions that differ from yours.

I have been looking for an article you wrote about an early 911S for sale down south that turned out to not be a 911S when you got there. Could you post the link to that here? I would be grateful.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion