Morning Ouch

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Morning Ouch

#16 Post by C J Murray »

Adam, your name calling exposes the real you. Why do you resent people who can write a check for a nice car? I always restore my own cars but I have some good friends that write a check and they don't seem to be devils. Do you know something about these people that I don't? I bet that some of them buy parts from you. Would you prefer they not buy your Rudge wheels? Spread the word, anybody that can write a check for a nice 356 is not welcomed at Adam's.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#17 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Adam, your name calling exposes the real you. Why do you resent people who can write a check for a nice car? I always restore my own cars but I have some good friends that write a check and they don't seem to be devils. Do you know something about these people that I don't? I bet that some of them buy parts from you. Would you prefer they not buy your Rudge wheels? Spread the word, anybody that can write a check for a nice 356 is not welcomed at Adam's.
Cliff, you couldn't be more off, I think everyone should enjoy a 356, and I sell to everyone, the guys who drop six digits on a 356 and the guys who drop $3000 on one, they are all welcome.
You are the one sounding like a snot, calling anyone who buys a car that's rough a "fool" and telling them to "Write the check and start driving." So if they can't write a $85,000 check than they aren't worthy of owning a 356? Or they are just a "fool" if they pick the hard road. You are really sounding like a snob, something this hobby needs less of, not more.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#18 Post by C J Murray »

Adam, I couldn't do to anyone what you did to the poor bastard that bought that car. Go ahead, call me a snob again. I imagine that's all you've got.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#19 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Knock it off, you two!! Or I'll have to smack some thick skulls together.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Adam, I couldn't do to anyone what you did to the poor bastard that bought that car. Go ahead, call me a snob again. I imagine that's all you've got.
I have a story I tell when people laugh at people for buying rough cars and say things like "fool" and "poor bastard".
A friend of mine bought a Porsche in the early 80s, he really really wanted one but he was a service tech at a Porsche dealer, so he didn't have much money, he had some, but not a lot. He searched and searched and finally found the car he wanted, except it had been in a house fire, so half the body was melted, and the motor was gone, but he could afford it and it was the Porsche he wanted. So he paid $10,000 for it, and everyone laughed and laughed, he was such an IDIOT! Well, he has spent the last 30 years restoring the car, little bits at a time. He used to do oil changes on 944's all day every Saturday in his driveway so he could pay the body shop on Monday. He even located his original motor.
So now he has the car almost finished, and I don't think anyone is laughing considering his license plate reads 1B4DEAN, that's right, he owns 550 Spyder 0054.
So calling someone a fool now because you can't see their vision is short sighted. Lots of guys have way more ambition and time than money, and the Porsche world is a better place because of it.
Attachments
1B4DEAN.jpg
550me.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes some cars like this go to Eastern Europe.And yes they are turned into decent cars. More go when the exchange rate is favorable. Hard to pay California prices for restoration work on almost any coupe. My oldest moved to California for work for a few years and she paid 1.2 million for house that would cost 250K maximum here in Michigan. And many Registry members have restored cars almost as bad in the Projects section. Will it sell on BAT with NO RESERVE? Yes and the auction is very entertaining to watch which I think is the reason it was put on BAT. "War of the Roses" was a fun movie. The war here? Not so much.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

Sure Adam, same as the coupe. Now I get it.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Sure Adam, same as the coupe. Now I get it.
Same principle. If super nice coupes are $75,000-125,000 now, or in the case of your friend Bill, $85,000. Spending $5,000-15,000 on a rough coupe, taking 10-20 years to get it done, you might be surprised with the results.

But like I said, my problem with what you said wasn't that you would never buy a car like that, that's your preference, the issue I took with you is you said anyone who does buy a car like the one I pictured is a "fool" and the guy that bought my car was a "poor bastard", that's snobby and not the kind of vibe we need in this club. We need young crazy guys who take on cars that we won't, so the guys 20 years from now have more cars to buy, and on and on. Laughing at these guys isn't welcoming to the group and we should avoid doing it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

#24 Post by C J Murray »

Now I get it, in 20 years they will have a net gain, other than wearing out shoes during 20 years of walking. Imagine the fun they will have if they live long enough to actually drive the car.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

C J Murray wrote:Now I get it, in 20 years they will have a net gain, other than wearing out shoes during 20 years of walking. Imagine the fun they will have if they live long enough to actually drive the car.
You might not have any gain, but you got to own a Porsche, and restore a Porsche. For many guys it isn't about the destination, it's the journey. I doubt anyone is buying a 356 so they can get to work.
Bottom line, don't look down on guys just because you don't understand their motivation, it's not nice.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#26 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I know someone just like that Adam. He has owned a T6 coupe for close to 15 years and just tinkers with it. Painted it several years ago. He drove it around the block about 4 years ago. He has never had a plate on it as long as I have known him.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#27 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Adam Wright wrote:
C J Murray wrote:Adam, I couldn't do to anyone what you did to the poor bastard that bought that car. Go ahead, call me a snob again. I imagine that's all you've got.
I have a story I tell when people laugh at people for buying rough cars and say things like "fool" and "poor bastard".
A friend of mine bought a Porsche in the early 80s, he really really wanted one but he was a service tech at a Porsche dealer, so he didn't have much money, he had some, but not a lot. He searched and searched and finally found the car he wanted, except it had been in a house fire, so half the body was melted, and the motor was gone, but he could afford it and it was the Porsche he wanted. So he paid $10,000 for it, and everyone laughed and laughed, he was such an IDIOT! Well, he has spent the last 30 years restoring the car, little bits at a time. He used to do oil changes on 944's all day every Saturday in his driveway so he could pay the body shop on Monday. He even located his original motor.
So now he has the car almost finished, and I don't think anyone is laughing considering his license plate reads 1B4DEAN, that's right, he owns 550 Spyder 0054.
So calling someone a fool now because you can't see their vision is short sighted. Lots of guys have way more ambition and time than money, and the Porsche world is a better place because of it.
Lovely 550 Adam!!

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

bob lerche
356 Fan

#28 Post by bob lerche »

About 5 1/2 years ago I purchased my 1962 S/R Coupe on a local Craigslist for $14,500. I dragged it home, was severely scolded by my wife and humiliated by my friends. To keep my marriage in tact, I had to sell my 1961 VW convertible that I owned for 30 plus years. I learned as much as I could and I was fortunate to be mentored by Tom Conway and Jim McMullen in Boulder. Except for 2 days at a paint booth, everything was done in my garage. I found some guys on Craigslist that would come over periodically to help weld new panels and get the body work done. It's been a long process but I couldn't afford to just "write a check" and have really enjoyed the journey. Financially, I am "right-side up" on the car. Perhaps the best dividend is that my twins have a stronger appreciation of perseverence, risk, and reward. Oh, by the way, the car found it's way on the inner cover of the recent Registry magazine...a fitting way to cross the finish line.
Attachments
Porsche May 2012.AL1.jpg

David Baugh
356 Fan

#29 Post by David Baugh »

I paid $975.00 for mine back in 1971, and had to borrow the money to do that.
Been workin' on it ever since.

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#30 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Oh, by the way, the car found it's way on the inner cover of the recent Registry magazine...a fitting way to cross the finish line.
Bob - cool story! Do you have an after pic handy for inspiration?