Engine bay oil spray

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

Engine bay oil spray

#1 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

While checking the engine, after a spirited drive, I noticed oil spray over the passenger side under the carburators... you know the rest... the head hole thread for the bolt that holds the engine sheet metal stripped... I wasn't aware there so much pressure in there to push/spray the oil out like that.
I need advise on how to tackle this... I'm thinking drill and tap, is that the simplest way, engine down again? I'm getting old...:-(

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Engine bay oil spray

#2 Post by David Jones »

Clean the hell out of it with carb cleaner or acetone or brake cleaner with the valve cover off and a rag stuffed up there to catch dirt. Smear the 6mm screw with JB weld and screw it in. Leave it overnight then deal with it next time the engine comes out.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ashley James
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ashley James »

Helicoil?

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#4 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Are you sure the threads in the head are really stripped? Perhaps that is an assumption. Realize that those screws can back out all by themselves due to vibration. Spring type lock washers will stop them from going their merry way.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Ashley, a helicoil or timesert would be the ideal answer but because of the position it would require the engine to be taken out and that is a lot of work for a fix that can be band aided with no consequence until the engine has to come out for a good reason.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

David Jones wrote:Ashley, a helicoil or timesert would be the ideal answer but because of the position it would require the engine to be taken out and that is a lot of work for a fix that can be band aided with no consequence until the engine has to come out for a good reason.
+1

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Karaba »

How about a longer bolt with a nut placed on the inside until the engine can come out to correct properly

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Since this screw also hold the engine side tin, locking it in place with JB Weld might not be a good idea especially when you need to disassemble. A helicoil sound like the best solution.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Oh yah, and don't use a self-tapping screw when attaching to the engine.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

#10 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

Many thanks for the comments and recommendations... Based on the suggestions, I decided to go with the JBW option - I used the Marine Type, did it last Saturday letting it cure till this morning, just came from a 30 miles spirited drive and everything is dry back in there... keep fingers crossed :-)

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jules Dielen »

good luck getting it out. JBW is tough stuff. Ask me how i know. :(
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dick Weiss »

Use a resistant on the threads before inserting the screws if using JB weld as the flat washer is the same on all the rest of the screws.
I use a good RTV sealant on the screws and washers which hold the horizontal side plates to the top of the head.

Dick