356 Provenance

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rene Santos
356 Fan

356 Provenance

#1 Post by Rene Santos »

Anyone, I’m trying to establish the provenance of my 356 B Super 90, delivered to the West Coast of the USA in 1963. I have a Certificate of Authenticity issued by Porsche Cars GB. I have tried contacting those on the Registry Committe without success. Thanks. Rene
Rene Santos
356B S90 Coupe
991 Turbo S
Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
Location UK

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 356 Provenance

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You will need to give chassis number at least. Maybe original equipment?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Rene Santos
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rene Santos »

Doug, yes the CoA has chassis number, engine number and full spec when delivered. I need to know who I can contact in the USA to confirm first owner.
Rene Santos
356B S90 Coupe
991 Turbo S
Location UK

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Unless your car happens to be documented from new in the VINdB at top of the page there is no way to know. Unless someone here remembers the car from when a friend had it new. That is why I recommended putting more info in your post. Rarely 1st owner will be listed on Kardex but as that is a warranty card when serviced under warranty, it is unlikely. If originally sold in California then maybe through old registrations but only someone who lives in California would be able to answer if there is a way to do that.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#5 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Rene
I think Doug summed it up pretty well as far as your options, but I must respectfully take issue with your initial post. I will and have admitted in the past that I do not follow the Forum like a hawk. But, I have also indicated many times if you have a specific issue please e-mail me. Do not post a question in the Forum expecting me to see it( I know you did not call me out specifically- I am just speaking from my perspective). I went back and looked, I did not get an e-mail from you( perhaps other trustees did and did not respond, but I am doubtful) I get many e-mails unrelated to club business seeking help or information and I respond to 99.999% of them( if you send me an UN-constructive, derogatory message do not expect a response) but in all other cases I will attempt to help share the knowledge I have retained or solicit others on your behalf and I believe all the current trustees are of the same mind. While this may be a simple miscommunication I do not like the inference that the trustees are non-responsive.

Trying to do my Job
Sincerely Curt & KTF

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#6 Post by John Hearn »

I believe there is no "Registry Committe"......
Who were you trying to contact? by name please.
I see you obtained your COA from Porsche Cars Great Britain.
Was it somebody in Great Britain you were trying to contact?
KTF
John

Rene Santos
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rene Santos »

Gentlemen, I’m back on line. Would like to thank you all for your feedback. More information for you. The car was imported into the Uk about 20 years ago ( best estimate) and I obtained it in 2009. Car has matching chassis, engine numbers and the CoA issued by Porsche GB. I contacted Porsche USA as to whom the first owner may have been in the USA but they were unable to help. The chassis number is 210876, engine number 805528, selling Porsche Centre, Porsche Car Pacific, Burlingame USA, colour Ruby Red.
Rene
Rene Santos
356B S90 Coupe
991 Turbo S
Location UK

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Your only hope is to get a copy of the original Kardex, some of those have the original owner listed, some don't. But even then you have only a very slim hope of finding the original owner. One of the problems is age, most of the original owners are north of 80 or so. If someone was 30 when your car was new he could be 84 now. Very young men were not buying these cars new, they weren't cheap.
The only info on the Kardex is a 50 year old address, nothing else.

And before anyone asks, I'm not a source for Kardex's. I have a friend in Germany who gets them for me, but only as a favor to me, I try very hard not to abuse his friendship.

Here are some examples of owner listed and not.
Attachments
Kartex 88775.jpg
24.jpeg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#9 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

It's worth getting a Kardex, mine had the original owner and I was able to find out the car's first owner was here in Dallas.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

Adam Wright wrote:And before anyone asks, I'm not a source for Kardex's. I have a friend in Germany who gets them for me, but only as a favor to me, I try very hard not to abuse his friendship.
Adam - how do I get to be his friend, too? I'm a nice guy ........
Greg Bryan

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Greg Bryan wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:And before anyone asks, I'm not a source for Kardex's. I have a friend in Germany who gets them for me, but only as a favor to me, I try very hard not to abuse his friendship.
Adam - how do I get to be his friend, too? I'm a nice guy ........
Greg,
I can attest to you being a nice guy. But I made a promise to my friend, Kardex access only for me.
The rule of Frank applies here, as spoken to me by Dick,
"Friends of friends, aren't allowed to have friends."
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#12 Post by Greg Bryan »

OK - it was worth a try. By the way, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine .... J. Garcia
Greg Bryan

Richard Colella
356 Fan

#13 Post by Richard Colella »

You can get a copy of the kardex from the Pateraks.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Bruechle »

I got 2 Kardex from Dave.
davep@koolatron.com
$160 I think each

Fred Otjen
356 Fan

#15 Post by Fred Otjen »

Hmm, this Kardex only friends doesn't sound good or right. Guess the privileged has privileges even in our small brotherhood - sad.