Classic-Cars- are-second-best-investment-after-jewellery

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dick Douglass
356 Fan

Classic-Cars- are-second-best-investment-after-jewellery

#1 Post by Dick Douglass »

This is not a new topic, but for those who feel that prices are falling, They will continue to rise!
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/classi ... -jewellery

We just sold a VW Type 2 Transporter to a family in Texas. It was a beautiful VW ready for the beach with a surf board rack and much more. Locally there wasn't much interest because they are all over PCH, but a family in Texas found the car on the internet , flew to So Cal, and bought it.
Why? "Because you just don't see these in Texas"!

Steven Murray
356 Fan

Re: Classic-Cars- are-second-best-investment-after-jewellery

#2 Post by Steven Murray »

Top Gear - in the UK I don't think sales tax is collected over and over again on each transfer of ownership. Here we have a 7%+ front end load so to speak. Do you pay sales tax on jewelry - well you don't have to go through the state to get a title. In NY they have sales tax breaks or caps for boats and airplanes but not cars.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edwin Ek »

Hate to be a naysayer, but lumping old Porsches with jewelry is not a very compelling investment thesis.

You should buy a car because you enjoy it. If it goes up in value, that is a bonus. If it depreciates, well its value behaved like that of the vast majority of cars. To do otherwise is speculating. Buying an old car with the idea its value will rise is not investing.

Trees don't grow to the sky.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

I bought my cars because I was attracted to them very much in the same way I was attracted to my 4 wives. Never thought about letting them go. Advantage of the cars is that I don't have to let them go and they will not ask to leave me. Their value is immaterial except from the insurance point of view. Personally they are probably worthless because I will likely be life expired before they get sold so it is almost pointless putting a monetary value on them except to wonder what the hell keeps driving the price up.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Predicting rising or falling prices on 356s is difficult. Doubt most can do it but personally I know prices have fallen somewhat and I think it is because people are once again making money in the stock market. I do think prices will go up again when the market tanks again. But at todays prices younger people want what they couldn't afford when young. That said I didn't buy to make money so just enjoy what I have. Much like David.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

4 WIVES! How is it that you have ANY cars?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

Probably one wife at a time?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#8 Post by Al Zim »

I have NEVER encouraged customers to invest in cars for their appreciation. You may appreciate cars but there is nothing there to hold or increase the value of the cars except the desire of someone else to own that car. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Douglass »

"I'll just hold onto my 356, maybe it will be worth something someday"
"I couldn't let it go for that, It means so much more to me"

PCA Tech Tactics West is Dec 2 and 3 , 2017 near Corona, Ca.
Nathan Merz, PCA, Topic is : State of the Porsche Collector Car Market: Up , Down, or Sideways.

Another resource.

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#10 Post by Mark Todorovich »

I have two cars and a wife that have been my life for almost 43 years. i remember people telling me how a diamond for your wife could be an investment. Probably only if you cut off her finger. My 52 was my wife's and she bought it before we were married. She tells me i can't sell it. i bought the speedster when we were engaged, it had been stripped and i have never driven it. It's in process, and will move along faster as soon as Trevor delivers some more parts.
Cars have been a tremendous asset for me, most of it from the pleasure of using or improving them. By accident they have become an important part of my net worth. I have been lucky enough to have a Porsche to drive for all of that time except for one year. After about 30 years of 911 daily drivers I bought an Audi S4, it was a fabulous car, but in less than a year not having a Porsche to drive pushed me into buying the 63 Cab?. Since then i bought the 69 911T and bought and sold an 85 Targa and a 60 Coupe. Now that i have discovered rental city garages I wish i still had both of them.
i have advised my children buy things they like , take care of them as if you just borrowed from your best friend and it might shock you how much other people want them later. It can work in cars, houses , art, and other bojects that are special enough to bring pleasure and aren't depleted by responsible use.
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Neil Bardsley »

C J Murray wrote:4 WIVES! How is it that you have ANY cars?
That is the bit that caught my attention too. Having one ex wife is expensive enough! Maybe David, like me, bought in between the marriages :)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

C J and Neil I wanted so much to comment but have met David and still feel badly about commenting that he was over 800 years old in an old thread when he slipped and said he was in his 80th decade. My tongue is bleeding I bit it so hard.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

David Jones wrote:I bought my cars because I was attracted to them very much in the same way I was attracted to my 4 wives. Never thought about letting them go. Advantage of the cars is that I don't have to let them go and they will not ask to leave me. Their value is immaterial except from the insurance point of view. Personally they are probably worthless because I will likely be life expired before they get sold so it is almost pointless putting a monetary value on them except to wonder what the hell keeps driving the price up.
4 wives I think with David is the tip of the iceberg, I can only imagine him in the 80s dropping that accent and his RAF fighter pilot good looks, the ladies didn't have a chance!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.