Valve clearance Decal/Sticker

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Valve clearance Decal/Sticker

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I recently had my shroud cover for my 912 engine that is going into my 356C repainted and the small wire clips replaced on the top as they had broken over the years of use.

The valve clearance decal that was on the shroud was obviously removed during this process and I opted for a sticker instead of the usual water slide decal.

I ordered one from stoddard in a recent order and another from a uk vendor, I was placing an order and decided a spare may come in handy.

Upon arrival of both orders the valve clearance sticker is very different in color and size from both vendors, the stoddard one in length is about 4 1/4 inches as opposed to the other which is about 3 inches.

The stoddard one looks better, but which is correct?

Many Thanks, Eric
Attachments
image.jpeg

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: Valve clearance Decal/Sticker

#2 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I used the bottom sticker (Stoddard) when I repainted my fan shroud in the proper C color. All my reference of original C engines suggests the top one is too small and too orange.

I actually haven't seen the top one so I'm curious as to on what motor it would be correct?

-Sean

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric McKinley »

Sean, yes I was swaying towards the stoddard one also.

I collect the shroud today so I shall check it for size.

I have no idea what the other one is for, same content just very different in color and size.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#4 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Eric-
I recommend against making a quick decision on which sticker here. Too small a sample. I would want to see more unrestored fan shrouds. I did notice on Evil Bay this morning a ratty old fan shroud. I have no affiliation with the seller, but take a look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-356-A- ... pn&vxp=mtr

Also, my car, Miss April, a 65 C, has alot of originality, but not sure about the fan shroud. It almost seems too nice to have not been repainted, but even with the engine out of the car, I still can't tell if original paint or not. I am leaning towards it is original. Note: I have repainted the oil filler, oil filter and coil. Below is a photo of the sticker for your consideration. It is the "other" sticker.
Attachments
Engine 2017 1026 (Large).JPG
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric McKinley »

Paul,

I got my shroud back yesterday, I tried the 2 stickers, would you believe I got it completely wrong.

The sticker from Stoddard was too large and overlapped the edges on both sides by 1/4 inch, the other more yellow sticker fitted perfectly, however the colour just looks very orangey compared to others I have seen.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#6 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Take a look at the orangy color of the ratty one in the Ebay posting. It may not be original, but it surely is not new either. Mine is more yellowish, but I like the one you found. Where did you source it?
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

How strange. The Stoddard sticker fit exactly on mine and matched up to multiple online references I had of original C fan shrouds, including Wil Mittelbachs which he posts regularly. Anyone know if the depressed area in the shrouds changed size over time? I very well could have a non-original shroud on my car.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#8 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Eric
If it helps any, I found that I had a Stoddard decal in my garage. Photos of front and back of that package taken next to my engine. Also including a photo of that old beat up fan shroud from the Ebay ad.

Don't know that it means much, but just passing along the info.

Paul
Attachments
decal.jpg
decal2.jpg
decal1.jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Eric McKinley »

Paul, I'll post a picture of the shroud this weekend, it's off a 912 engine.

The sticker came from Roger Bray in the U.K.

Sean, I'd be interested to know also if the depression size changed through the years.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Smith »

I think this valve clearance decal is original. Most things on this '63B coupe are.
Attachments
101_4109.JPG
Bruce Smith