Long dormant 1600 now running, but POP POP !!!!

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Re: Long dormant 1600 now running, but POP POP !!!!

#16 Post by Paul Ahnell »

GregVandenbussche wrote:PaulAhNell check date on the heads, 1959 ones valve seats have the tendency to recess so much that valve end up loose, had the problem and it was described perfectly by another member
Burned exhaust valve tend to whistle too (burned mine due to the previously described problem)
Greg V.: Thanks for the heads up but the engine is all buttoned up and back in car. Runs well now with no popping. Shop checked seats und alles in ordnung.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dan Epperly »

PaulAhnell wrote:
GregVandenbussche wrote:PaulAhNell check date on the heads, 1959 ones valve seats have the tendency to recess so much that valve end up loose, had the problem and it was described perfectly by another member
Burned exhaust valve tend to whistle too (burned mine due to the previously described problem)
Greg V.: Thanks for the heads up but the engine is all buttoned up and back in car. Runs well now with no popping. Shop checked seats und alles in ordnung.
So, what was causing the popping?

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#18 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Dan: My guess is that chunk(s) of the built-up carbon in #2 broke off and interfered with Intake and/or Exhaust valve.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Greg Stout
356 Fan

#19 Post by Greg Stout »

Sorry for 'going dark' for so long.....got totally sidetracked building cabinets for my dearly beloved.....
anyway, I checked the carbs, (which I hadn't done yet...shame) and the idle screws were each about 6-8 turns out !!!!! so I set them at 1 1/2 turns each and synched the linkages....that cleared things up considerably....but I DO need to pull/replace the plugs (new WR6BC) and, oh , how I wish I had a Comp tester. I really have to finish these cabinets, so T-5 will have to sit a bit longer. Thanks for all the input above.....you all are Great !!!!
Member # 1809 , June 1978
'60 Cab-'60 Rdstr-Envimo S:90
'60 Rdstr-'64 C Cpe-'62 Cab
Envimo S:90-'63 Cpe-'62 Cpe
above…all Sold and long gone….
current Garage Pals…
IM Roadster D
1960 T-5 Coupe (52nd one built)
1968 912 Coupe