6V generator, will VW generator fit?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Juha Vane
356 Fan

Re: 6V generator, will VW generator fit?

#16 Post by Juha Vane »

Hi Mervyn,

Checked my spare brush and also what is now in my 6V generator 0 101 206 029.
Both are Brasilian brushes and the bag had VW number 111903515A.

So shortly: yes the 6V VW brush fit Porsche 356 6V generator.
Attachments
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
KTF,

Juha Vane
Finland

'59 308
'63 356
'85 911

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#17 Post by Steve Douglas »

The generator brushes for 90% of the early VWs fit the original 356 generators, be sure that you get the Bosch or Autobahn brand brushes, as there are many cheaper brands out there that don't last, they are too soft of material, some are to hard and don't contact the armature well, and others even melt under heavy loads. Prices are all over the place from $3.50 to $15 so it really isn't the most expensive that are the best.
Buy from one of the reputable vendors on the Registry list, and ask the brand.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wes Bender »

Joe Leoni used to have the better Bosch variety, but I don't know if they're still available. His had better ampacity.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Douglas »

Yes, Joe had some good ones, they have a H (Hella logo) imprinted into the side I have been getting some from an old local generator shop who has a few in stock, they are Autobahn/VW. Consider cleaning the commutator with either emery cloth or a commutator stone. For a quick cleaning a little spray of contact cleaner on a Q-Tip while spinning the generator. Check out some of the YouTube videos on cleaning commutators, there are several. It is important to get it smooth and the grooves cleaned out, Sharp edges eat brushes fast. Old school generator shops are hard to find, and some electric motor shops can at least turn the commutator making it flat so the brushes get full width contact. I'm guessing that the brushes should be checked every 15,000 miles if everything is in good shape, more often depending on how worn out everything is. There isn't much that can go wrong if maintained, and not overloaded. Springs are easy to change out and are the same as early VW. Bearings are easy to change and cheap, sealed ones are standard and last a long time if the belt is tensioned properly.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#20 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Thank you so much for doing this Juha and also Steve and Wes. Good points and confirmation of the size of the brushes for the 6V application. The Bosch brand has always been the hallmark, but recent experience with Bosch-labelled condensers made in Turkey and Brazil has me a bit worried. The Schunk brand seems to have a very good international reputation in power tools and the like. Still these ones will be spares.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Al Zim
356 Fan

#21 Post by Al Zim »

A generator service is more than checking the armature turning it and then putting in brushes and bearings. The case should be plated, the end caps usually need replacement because the bearings have enlarged the area their area that holds them and the field coils should also be replaced. It is difficult to find a production shop that will do this! The next situation you are going to face is procuring a 6 volt regulator. Quality regulators are in short supply. It has been over 50 years since production 6 volt electrical parts have been made. It is possible to use the 6 volt VW generator and modify the case (by welding plating and installing Porsche terminals) to make it into a Porsche style generator assuming that your end caps are in good shape. al zim 2018/12/12
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/