Car Covers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Re: Car Covers

#16 Post by Jan Kolm »

What was the relationship between Covercraft and MG Mitten? For years, the dirt-cheap, Covercraft-made covers I bought from JC Whitney were identical to the overpriced, MG Mitten covers, down to the pattern number stenciled on the front, just without the MG Mitten logo.

I know MG Mitten (Marion Weber) developed the patterns, starting in the mid-1950s and she probably had active patents at one time; but the MG Mitten name has been gone for decades.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#17 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Just bought this one for a 65 C in the driveway.
Looks and fits good, not sure how long it will last outdoors ?
$48 and free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-356C-1 ... 2749.l2649

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#18 Post by Steven Murray »

about 4 years ago i bought a covercraft Noah for around $200, since it was lablelled as a 4 season cover. It was not for a 356 but for a car that had a leak around the windshield. I went out one morning (novmeber?) and it was torn up. It was only about a month old so I thought it was vandalized as the tears seemed very straight. There was a llght frost. I sent it back to Covercraft for repair but they said no way it would be covered under a warrantee. The report might have been that it was not vandalized but abused. So I don't know what kind of 4 season cover this is, maybe an LA 4 season cover. I don't think I had any plans to use it when it snowed as I knock the snow off before it melts and gets into the car via bad windshield seals. Bottom line - I cancelled my plans to buy 2 more Noah car covers.

I wouldn't use one if it's windy either - I'd fear the paint could be abraded. My interest has probably turned more towards sun protection and should I buy another cover it would not be a Covercraft although rumor is these all might be made by the same company anyway.

robert e gwaltney
356 Fan

#19 Post by robert e gwaltney »

i have used Cal Car Cover for years, this is strickly for inside use the form fitting lycra covers, that's in a climate controlled and dehumidified garage, as for parachutes, would recommend T-10 or -1B, anyone with Airborne wings can help u identify... hooaah
Robb Gwaltney

71 911 T Coupe RS Outlaw, white
62 356B Coupe Silver Metallic
95 HD FLSTN
2018 Porsche Macan Sport Edition
1998 E36 M3 track car
2007 BMW 650i

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#20 Post by Brad Ripley »

Opinion -- a car cover is not a substitute for a garage.

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#21 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

Opinion:
For some a Garage is not a substitute for a marriage.
1960 Super Cabriolet, 1963 S90 Coupe
Registry #311
Owned Porsche 356s continuously since 1978
(wow, made 45 years of ownership on the 60 Cab!)

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#22 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Erik Thomas wrote:Frank:

I hate car covers. They trap humidity and promote rust. At least in coastal Rhode Island. Best outdoor strategy is a bare car, on a dry area. Best indoor strategy is a bare car, in a spot that gets some winter sun in the window. If you are in a dehumidified heated garage, I guess none of it makes any difference. If you are just looking for dust protection, to keep the dirt from other projects off, I use half of a WWII surplus parachute.

Best, Erik Thomas VSCCA # 179
I have to agree with this. I had to store my 912 outside for about a year and I think the cover did more harm then good. I think it encourages the moisture to move the end of the cover then drip onto the wheels and the bottom of the car.

Henry Feiner
356 Fan

#23 Post by Henry Feiner »

neilbardsley wrote:

I hate car covers. They trap humidity and promote rust. At least in coastal Rhode Island. Best outdoor strategy is a bare car, on a dry area. Best indoor strategy is a bare car, in a spot that gets some winter sun in the window. If you are in a dehumidified heated garage, I guess none of it makes any difference. If you are just looking for dust protection, to keep the dirt from other projects off, I use half of a WWII surplus parachute.

I have to agree with this. I had to store my 912 outside for about a year and I think the cover did more harm then good. I think it encourages the moisture to move the end of the cover then drip onto the wheels and the bottom of the car.
No no no....... :P
Not if you have the WeatherShield HD
P1100238.JPG
I've had my 63 T6 Coupe for nearly 30 years and have kept it parked on the street as a daily driver until I retired 9 years ago.
Whilst I was able to park undercover at work.....this ceased when I retired and the once-a-week wash routine was no longer able to keep the dirt and dust off the body.
I live in coastal Sydney and am now on my 3rd WeatherShield HD.
Not only doesn't it trap moisture and humidity.....but it keeps the bodywork and paintwork in such perfect condition, that I have only to wash the car twice a year.... :P :!:
This cover is expensive but worth it. Trust me.....this is better than a garage which allows dust to settle.
Regards
Henry

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#24 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Henry Feiner wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:

No no no....... :P
Not if you have the WeatherShield HD
P1100238.JPG
I've had my 63 T6 Coupe for nearly 30 years and have kept it parked on the street as a daily driver until I retired 9 years ago.
Whilst I was able to park undercover at work.....this ceased when I retired and the once-a-week wash routine was no longer able to keep the dirt and dust off the body.
I live in coastal Sydney and am now on my 3rd WeatherShield HD.
Not only doesn't it trap moisture and humidity.....but it keeps the bodywork and paintwork in such perfect condition, that I have only to wash the car twice a year.... :P :!:
This cover is expensive but worth it. Trust me.....this is better than a garage which allows dust to settle.
but you live in Sydney! Even the rain is warm and friendly there :)

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#25 Post by Edwin Ek »

Is WeatherShield HD the name of a fabric or company?

Henry Feiner
356 Fan

#26 Post by Henry Feiner »

Edwin Ek wrote:Is WeatherShield HD the name of a fabric or company?
Weathershield HD is the name of the fabric
https://www.covercraft-pacificshop.com/ ... eldhd.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICS_-OEYek
I bought it from CarCover World
https://www.carcoverworld.com/covercraf ... -car-cover
https://www.carcoverworld.com/car-covers
Regards
Henry

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#27 Post by John Lindstrom »

What kind of cover is irrelevant if you don't have a dehumidifier in your garage. 45% relative humidity will preserve your car. 95% will destroy it no matter how nice your garage and car cover.