Anyone Use the Porsche Class Restoration Services for Trans?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harry Whitehouse
356 Fan

Anyone Use the Porsche Class Restoration Services for Trans?

#1 Post by Harry Whitehouse »

I stumbled upon a section at the Porsche website touting the "Porsche Classic Workshop". They offer an service to rebuilt any of the older cars or subcomponents such as the transmission. I inquired by email and they said they do in fact work on the 356 series transmissions (I have a 356C). They require a review of the equipment (8 hrs or so of billable time) and then can provide a detailed quote.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessories ... storation/

Has anyone used this service? It would be clearly extravagant to pull my transmission, ship it from California to Germany, and have it rebuilt there. But I've had 3 rebuilds by California shops over my 50 year ownership and the unit is still noisy and quirky.

If anyone has had experience with this service, I'd love to hear from you!

Best

Harry Whitehouse
Harry Whitehouse

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Re: Anyone Use the Porsche Class Restoration Services for Tr

#2 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I visited their workshop during a tour a few years ago. I'm sure they will do a good job. However, many of the people in CA have been working on transmissions for longer than the people in the classic workshop (which only opened 8-10 years ago). I guess could rebuild a transmission in about 8 hours. Plus the Porsche classic labour charge 4 years ago was > 115 eur an hour. My transmission was rebuilt by Dick Aubele and runs very nicely. I believe he still does them and is based in CA. I would recommend him. Jack Staggs is another name to consider.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

I would agree, you will get comparable if not superior service from many of the US based gearbox guys. The only reason to ship it to Germany would be if the car had extremely rare provenance and having a Factory Re-build enhanced this aura of the car. But I don't think there would be a practical benefit.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

Harry, contact Jon Bunin at Werkstatt in Vista, CA. Best of luck with your transmission.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

They are not rebuilding during those 8 hours; that's just to review the parts and THEN bill for the rebuild. Can't be cheap.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Nelson »

neilbardsley wrote:I visited their workshop during a tour a few years ago. I'm sure they will do a good job. However, many of the people in CA have been working on transmissions for longer than the people in the classic workshop (which only opened 8-10 years ago). I guess could rebuild a transmission in about 8 hours. Plus the Porsche classic labour charge 4 years ago was > 115 eur an hour. My transmission was rebuilt by Dick Aubele and runs very nicely. I believe he still does them and is based in CA. I would recommend him. Jack Staggs is another name to consider.
Dick has done transmissions for quite a number of people that I know, including my own, and he does a very nice job. My only regret is not fitting one of Vic’s tall fourth gears, and that will happen at some point.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Harry
If you had 3 rebuilds already you might consider using another core and or using my Cadrobbi conversion for the diff which is an upgrade a new CWP etc. if your housing is the original by all means preserve it. Even if you go to an experienced builder who has the proper tools then if the original had problems that are inherent you will get similar results.
j

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#8 Post by Edwin Ek »

Harry, I have been trying to reach you.