Valve Covers: Painted or Plated?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Valve Covers: Painted or Plated?

#1 Post by Ronald Sieber »

For a '57 A Normal engine, are the valve covers painted black, or are they clear zinc plated?

Thanks,
=rds

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Valve Covers: Painted or Plated?

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Never black; plated.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Ronald Sieber wrote:For a '57 A Normal engine, are the valve covers painted black, or are they clear zinc plated?

Thanks,
=rds
The plating metal remains mooted, but every one I've seen is (or was before it was rusted) a white-color plated surface.
BTW, buy the gaskets from the guy who first answered; they are a product which should get the highest rewards, keeping the oil inside the engine instead of trailing on the pavement behind you.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#4 Post by Heidi Frances »

Holy cow, really? Never black? Huh... I didn't know that. I always thought the Normals were black and the Supers were silver-ey (plated). I guess I'm not paying attention!

Thanks for that. Mine (well, Eva's) look like someone used them for ball-peen hammer practice...

Here's a question... Are they interchangeable with VW covers? I can't see that they were ever not black. Makes me wonder.

Thanks for that.

Franny

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I see a new youtube video in the future.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Not interchangeable with VW, the size and shape are quite different. The fan shrouds were black or silver paint depending on N or S, similar idea, different part.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Erik Thomas »

Back in my past, I sent valve covers out for powder coating in satin black. I guess that just goes to show how foolish we were in the 1980's.

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#8 Post by Heidi Frances »

If that is the most foolish thing you did in the eighties I think you are pretty safe ;)

Yup, so the fan shroud is silver for the supers; I have just seen so many black valve covers I assumed that was a Normal thing. Huh... Great to learn that!

Good to know about the VW not being the same. I wonder how Eva's got painted black?...

Thanks for the great info!

Franny

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#9 Post by Heidi Frances »

Back to the original question about painted vs. plated. The silver/aluminum spray paints are a really good match for the original plating I think. Is there a really big advantage to plating them? Just thinking that they are a lot easier to spray them now and again.

What do you guys think?

Franny

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#10 Post by Sean M Rooks »

I powdercoated mine in silver with clear. Not at all like the original plating, but it will be more durable than paint and looks more right than black.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dan Epperly »

Franny Brodigan wrote:Back to the original question about painted vs. plated. The silver/aluminum spray paints are a really good match for the original plating I think. Is there a really big advantage to plating them? Just thinking that they are a lot easier to spray them now and again.

What do you guys think?

Franny
Plating is better, you don't scratch the hell out of the paint when sliding the bails up and down.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#12 Post by Joris Koning »

clear zinc, the good old type which is no longer being offered in most countries. Modern zinc looks different
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jim Nelson »

Franny Brodigan wrote:
Yup, so the fan shroud is silver for the supers; I have just seen so many black valve covers I assumed that was a Normal thing. Huh... Great to learn that!

Franny
Ah....except when they’re not....lots of grey super fan shrouds...

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dick Weiss »

I use Krylon's Silver spray + a clear-coat and it'll look like Cad 1. When R & R-ing the cover, I add a strip of masking tape (before the notches)and use a wooden lever to pop the bail/spring to prevent scratching the paint, but it'll look the same w/cadded covers which shows valve adjustments are scheduled--just like the rear lid's latch shows a little paint removal, too.

Dick

Heidi Frances
356 Fan

#15 Post by Heidi Frances »

Thanks Dick,

That sounds like a good maintainable solution. Good call on the strip of masking tape to protect it. That's a great idea.

I'm guessing the bale wire is a gloss black (not flat)?

Franny