Camber Regulator issues with install by pro 356 retired mech

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Camber Regulator issues with install by pro 356 retired mech

#1 Post by Alex Goodhart »

I have been told
install will go without issue.
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Camber Regulator issues with install by pro 356 retired

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

If you look at the back side of the trailing arm you will see that there are 3 bolts holding the axle tube to it, as Vic stated. The forth (more forward) one does not go through the axle flange, that is the toe adjustment stop. You have the link on the correct bolt. Beyond that I am not familiar. The bar may appear too wide when the car is jacked up and the axles are hanging down, I am sure it is the right length.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#3 Post by Mike Smith »

Alex,

You have a VERY Good Porsche guy on Bribie Island
I know its a few hours away but so is everything in AUS

Sean Raven - trades as German Engineering
0061 410 237 068
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Re: Camber Regulator

#4 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Thanks I will give him a call.
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Proctor »

It sounds like you have a copy of the original installation instructions. Installation of this bar is a modification to the original configuration, so a shop manual and parts diagram are not really going to be much help. Additionally, since no changes are made to any "stock" settings or configurations, travel to find a Porsche mechanic is not necessary. Anyone who can read and follow instructions carefully should be able to do the installation.

You are correct, the number of exposed threads on the short link indicates that, despite the admonition not to do so, lengthening to increase pre-load was done on the short link and the long link is still at its shortest length. Don't know if it is the camera angle, but it also looks like the bolts that engage the heim joints at the upper drop links are angled upward. Maybe they are not fully tight or maybe the through holes are misaligned, resulting in the upward angle? If they are not perpendicular to the swing arm and tight, a bending load will be applied to the drop links such as seen in the photos. Also, I could envision how improper order of the washers could restrict the travel of the heim joints.

To be frank, it appears that the original installer was uh...improvising. If it were me, I'd buy a new set of all the mounting hardware from Vic, remove the bar and carefully reinstall, keeping in mind, the order that the washers are used and the pre-load adjustment instructions.

It is a major plus that your car has this bar. Installed and pre-loaded properly, it provides a level of confidence in tight and high speed corners that is immediately noticeable. Good luck!!

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Thanks,
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Proctor »

Perfect, Alex. I think you are on the road to recovery!! Best of luck.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Install
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Proctor »

Great!! You'll love it.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757