Transmission lock - shift rod guide nuts?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Transmission lock - shift rod guide nuts?

#16 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jon Bunin wrote:Since the clamps are still available, new or used, Jack will do the right thing and obtain the correct parts ;-)
Jon, back when you and I were both looking after DFVs, I lost one of the hex stand-offs which fastened the aluminum belt shield to the front of the timing cover. A call to Cosworth (in Torrance at the time?) told me they had a LOT of them in both lengths; they were ~$50/ea. This is 1/2" aluminum hex, ~1.8" long, drilled and tapped #10-32 both ends, one end c'sunk.
Can't remember the name of my sales guy there, but I told him: "No wonder you have a lot of them! You'll probably have a lot of them for a long time."
Seems it was a $10 order from Online Metals and 10 minutes on the lathe and a good time was had by all!
I'd still do that (pretty sure the material is over there). I wouldn't do it here, but there's still room for improv... (smile)
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jon Bunin
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jon Bunin »

Ron LaDow wrote:... I lost one of the hex stand-offs which fastened the aluminum belt shield to the front of the timing cover.
Fun times, Ron. I think Ken Jacobs was the parts manager at Torrance in those days.
I still have one of those aluminum belt shields at the shop, collecting dust.
Attachments
DSCN1493.JPG
Jon Bunin

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#18 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jon Bunin wrote:
Ron LaDow wrote:... I lost one of the hex stand-offs which fastened the aluminum belt shield to the front of the timing cover.
Fun times, Ron. I think Ken Jacobs was the parts manager at Torrance in those days.
I still have one of those aluminum belt shields at the shop, collecting dust.
Jon, I've got plastic bins full of Cozzy stuff, new parts designed for 616s, and you've done nothing other than improve your knowledge of all these bits and pieces.
It's STILL fun times!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#19 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Ron LaDow wrote:Doug's link shows them plated, which I've never seen on ones I've removed.
Regardless, the design is 'way more complicated than it needs to be and they are m6-1.0 threads, so if you have the tools available, it's not hard to sketch up and make an 'aftermarket' substitute which will work just fine.
But you'll have to value your time pretty cheaply to beat the advertised price. Or simply enjoy making them...
According to Treavor's conservative time estimate, this is about $225/hr. I have done real engineering work for this rate. Yes, yes I know there is material cost involved and the freight to boot but ignored as the "classic" price for this element is a laugher, especially since they appear to be cast [too many rounded surfaces for monolithic duplication] and the 6mm threaded holes appear to be off center from Jon's posted photo. Maybe the later is an "adjustment" for the casting tolerances to get the centers to line up. Jon says they are 9 mm thick. I am guessing 5mm thick at the thread as this would align with good casting principles. And as one poster has commented on an unrelated post..." it is out of sight and no one will see it" so make it out of whatever and proportioned to fit and function.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#20 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes the threaded hole is off center and needs to be to accomplish what needs to be done.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#21 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Yes the threaded hole is off center and needs to be to accomplish what needs to be done.
+1