Steel wheel repair?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Steel wheel repair?

#1 Post by David Jones »

Who repairs them? I have two that need the centers to be transferred to new rims to preserve date codes. Who does them and at what cost?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

M Penta
356 Fan

Re: Steel wheel repair?

#2 Post by M Penta »

Hi David,

Weldcraft in Michigan, Stockton Wheel in CA are two options, Both seem to have a good rep, but I have never used them. I looked into widening some wheels for another vehicle in the past but never ended up doing it so can't comment on results. I think it was like 150 a wheel.

Mark

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Another option would be Perfect Custom Made Wheels in Gardena, Ca. (Formerly Bolton's Wheels).

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Mike Wilson wrote:Another option would be Perfect Custom Made Wheels in Gardena, Ca. (Formerly Bolton's Wheels).

Mike
90% of the wheels we sell go directly to Bolton, they don't pass go. Ask for Carol or Javier. new # 310 819 6752
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Adam Wright wrote:
Mike Wilson wrote:Another option would be Perfect Custom Made Wheels in Gardena, Ca. (Formerly Bolton's Wheels).

Mike
90% of the wheels we sell go directly to Bolton, they don't pass go. Ask for Carol or Javier. new # 310 819 6752
Just to reiterate Perfect Custom's commitment to the 356 community, I was packing multiple orders to them today for customers who bought my wheels. I've now sent them literally 100's of wheels. That's a lot of happy customers.
Attachments
Boltonshipping.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#6 Post by David Jones »

Follow up to my original query. I called PCMW and sent them pictures of the bent rims and they said they could repair them though the verbal quote they gave me was confused as I spoke to different people during the process from initial call to final shipping of wheels. After they received them it was a week or two before they were able to to inform me that they could not repair them as the machine they mount them on to cut out the centers could not cope with my bent rims. I called my friend Bart Beach in California as it was not cost effective to ship the wheels back to me for me to cut out the centers out so he found a local shop that cut both out with a plasma cutter for $20. He returned them to PCMW who then did an excellent job of replacing the rims on both my centers for $220 which was less than the cost for one new wheel, which of course would not be date matched with the others.
Picture of rims before and after attached.
No doubt PCMW can repair rims well but be aware that bent rims to the extent mine were bent will need to have the centers removed before shipping which of course would make shipping cheaper and easier. I could have saved about $100 if I had cut out the centers myself with my plasma cutter.
Attachments
IMG_4569.jpeg
IMG_2722.jpg
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

I was going to ask how you managed to do that, David, but then remembered that you used to do some off-roading with your car.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#8 Post by David Jones »

Used to is right Wes. I have decided to stick to the blacktop from now on.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Frank Earle
356 Fan

#9 Post by Frank Earle »

David,

A number of years ago I sent my original Lemmerz wheels off my '58 Cab to Stockton Wheel (800-395-9433) to have them straightened, trued and match-repainted the factory silver. Stockton did a superb job, and all wheels have run perfectly....straight and true ever since!

Regards

Frank

Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mike DeJonge »

would transferring the date stamped center of the wheel to another outer pc of a wheel be like transferring the vin panel from one car to another?
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mike DeJonge wrote:would transferring the date stamped center of the wheel to another outer pc of a wheel be like transferring the vin panel from one car to another?
GOOD question.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic Skirmants wrote:
Mike DeJonge wrote:would transferring the date stamped center of the wheel to another outer pc of a wheel be like transferring the vin panel from one car to another?
GOOD question.
No, the outer rim is the wearable part of the wheel and is often damaged. The date on the center is the only one you can normally read, because the tire is in place, so it is the date that counts. If the car was brand new, you could see the outer date, but not the inner date, so in concour judging this would matter. Not to mention the date on the inner rim does not match the date on the face of the rim normally, so it's not relevant. Double add to that is the fact that not all the wheel manufacturers dated the outer rim, I know Lemmerz did, I don't think KPZ did, and I know Sudrad didn't.

The inner part of the wheel is the wheel, for all practical purposes.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brad Ripley »

This thread started out about how to fix a bent wheel. Mike and Vic have now re-started the Original body vs Replacement Body question -- much discussed in this Forum over the years -- the latest probably here by Mike: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45999&p=309723&hili ... ud#p309723

--- and debated over the years probably on every Old Car forum such as, "The Duesenberg sedan (made into a dual-cowl Phaeton) wins Pebble Beach Concours" and stories like it versus the legalities of such cars. Let the debate continue!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

And each of us has a viewpoint on the subject that will not change much regardless of anything we read. Some people enjoy their car by obsessing over details, I enjoy mine by driving it. Either way is valid.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna