Convertible D Restoration

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Kristi Dalldorf Tom Besemer
356 Fan

Convertible D Restoration

#1 Post by Kristi Dalldorf Tom Besemer »

We own a 1959 Convertible D and are trying to get recommendations on body work/paint/interior. Our D has matching serial numbers and is beloved by my family. My husband, Tom, and my son, Ryan, and myself recently got the D running again after it had sat for 25 years.

My deceased husband, Bob Dalldorf, passed away in 2008. I have since remarried and we are caring for the 356s that Bob had for so many years. We have a 1962 Cabriolet, the 1959 Convertible D and my son has ownership of his Dad’s 1959 Coupe (also in need of body/paint/interior).

It has been difficult to find someone who could assist in body repair and paint. Our D needs rust repair on both driver & passenger door and battery box. The D overall is in good body shape. We are not looking for a concours restoration. We want to be able to drive and enjoy it! The car is located in San Luis Obispo. We divide our time between the Central Coast and Northern California (Auburn area). We are in contact with John Chatley with the Convertible D registry. He has been extremely helpful.

We appreciate any input you can provide!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Convertible D Restoration

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Ted Blake in Sacramento comes to mind since you live in Auburn. Luckily you live in California so many shops to consider. I am sure that many from Cali will chime in. If you add your email address you will probably get more private replies. Jim and Shane East in Orange County. Auto's International or Tony Garcia for interior. Since Convertible D's are worth so much money I would encourage you to take your time, evaluate shops and most importantly remember what my mechanic Dad always said "There is never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over." Welcome to the slippery slope of how much to redo? And welcome to the Registry!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Proctor »

With a car as valuable as it is, I would not be too concerned about finding a place close by. Find a shop that specializes in 356s. Some nuances such as even and properly sized gaps on the closing panels must be addressed in order to preserve the value of the car. If it is in SLO, you might message Ray Crosno on this list and ask him to come and look at the car and give you recommendations. He is a long time and knowledgeable owner in that area.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Max Handley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Max Handley »

Highly recommend Steve Hogue for your metal work. Outstanding craftsmanship.

Steve Hogue Enterprises
22416 S Normandie Ave. Unit D
Torrance Ca. 90502
310-787-1001
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Max Handley on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

truck it to AZ and have deluxe customs do the paint and body. they just completed my D and i could not be happier.

http://deluxecustoms.com/project/1959-p ... ertible-d/
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Kristi Dalldorf Tom Besemer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Kristi Dalldorf Tom Besemer »

Thank you to everyone who replied to our question. It truly helps to receive feedback from fellow Porsche enthusiasts. We will definitely take our time and do our research. Kristi

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Kristi Dalldorf & Tom Besemer wrote:We own a 1959 Convertible D and are trying to get recommendations on body work/paint/interior. Our D has matching serial numbers and is beloved by my family. My husband, Tom, and my son, Ryan, and myself recently got the D running again after it had sat for 25 years.

My deceased husband, Bob Dalldorf, passed away in 2008. I have since remarried and we are caring for the 356s that Bob had for so many years. We have a 1962 Cabriolet, the 1959 Convertible D and my son has ownership of his Dad’s 1959 Coupe (also in need of body/paint/interior).

It has been difficult to find someone who could assist in body repair and paint. Our D needs rust repair on both driver & passenger door and battery box. The D overall is in good body shape. We are not looking for a concours restoration. We want to be able to drive and enjoy it! The car is located in San Luis Obispo. We divide our time between the Central Coast and Northern California (Auburn area). We are in contact with John Chatley with the Convertible D registry. He has been extremely helpful.

We appreciate any input you can provide!
My only advice is that if you aren't looking for a concour restoration, avoid the high end top guys. They generally have one speed and bill accordingly. Find a shop that is on the same page with you on the quality of work you desire and what you want to pay. There is no reason to order a $100 steak if you're ok with a nice burger. I've seen too many people who walk into a restoration with a different idea than the restorer, only to have everyone mad in the end. Restoring a car should be an ultimately happy experience, a re-birth of sorts, but if people have different ideas this is not always how it goes.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Max Handley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Max Handley »

Adam has a point ,however if the car is valuable and you want it done correctly do your research. Steve Hogue did my doors in about 2 and 1/2 weeks as he was working on Porsche Spyders and a very rare 911R. His price was more than fair and I know the work was Porsche factory standards or better. The $ spent should be reflected in the appraised value of your Conv D car if you use good craftsmen.

Some good guys to talk with are not far from you. Jim Liberty comes to mind.
Attachments
image.jpeg

David Aronson
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Aronson »

I am also in Northern Ca. I found Ted Blake, in Sacramento, to be not only honest but a wealth of information. He has helped me immensely. Always ready to put down his wrench and talk at length on anything relating to his love, the 356 Porsche. After he finished my floor replacement he suggest I look up John Holden from Holden Sheet metal in Shingle Springs. He would complete the car but knew I was wanting to do as much as possible myself. John has finished extensive rust and collision repair on 356 Porsches and other exotics. Replacing the entire front end and one fender on mine as well as some rust and panel repair. I disagree about the unimportance of finding a local shop. It is most inconvenient to travel to L.A. over and over again to witness the project. I have done it and working locally has been a real treat. I do agree that quality is first and foremost as you do not want to do it over.
Since you are in the area, you can go by Ted's 7 days a week. He works until 3:00 in the summers. His shop may look closed but he just closes the doors so the valuables inside are not so visible to the general public. Ted Blake, 916-455-5010. He only works on 4 cylinder Porsches. John Holden, 530-677-4168. I have many pictures of Ted and John's work. Some are in the "Its time to restore my notchback" track. HINT: You must be ready to be patient with whomever you choose to help with the restoration. These fellows are artists in what they do. Nothing is done "FAST". But, it is a good idea to let them know what you would like the timeline to look like. Then once a timeline is agreed upon, hold them to it with visits and phone calls. And, always be ready for a delay due to parts, workforce problems, weather etc. Good Luck, it is a fun project and worth the effort when the car is back and beautiful....
61 Karmann Notchback 200831
67 Karman 912 461567
74 911 Targa (3.0 SC motor)
83 911SC (Concours award winner, still)
95 993
09 Carrera S
69 Triumph TR6, 2004 BMW K1200GT, 2012 R1200RT, 2013 MOTO GUZI V7 RACER
64 VW coupe
Vacaville Ca.

Max Handley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Max Handley »

+ 10 for Ted Blake. One of the best in N. ca. Ted was booked out for at least a year when I needed work, so went to S. California.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#11 Post by Eric Meyer »

I live in San Luis Obispo… and restored a Convt. D here too… but don't know any shops here qualified to do the work anymore. I can also say that Delux Customs in AZ does great work as I have a friend in SB that has done several A cars with them. For the cost of the work… and the value of the car… I suggest either restoring it right or doing as little repair as needed to simply get it to stop deteriorating. A restored car becomes a precious object whereas a runner/unrestored/slightly scrappy car is hard to really hurt… and so is WAY funner to have and drive around because you don't worry if somebody leans on it… parks their bicycle next to it etc. In all honesty… these days I enjoy driving my unrestored slightly scrappy A coupe more than any of the restored cars… people like it more too.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#12 Post by Eric Meyer »

also… we've got a group of Porsche guys that show up at Blackhorse Espresso on Higuera in San Luis Obispo at 9 am.. 6 days a week (not sunday). There are several 356 guys in the group still… (it used to be all 356 guys). This Porsche group has been meeting 6 days week for over 20 years at the same place! Crazy. Its not always the same guys everyday… but there are always at least 5 guys there.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Douglas »

I would like to recommend Mark Miletich. Located in Scott’s Valley and has over 40 years of restoring 356s. All him at (831) 438-1356. He’s normally around the shop between 11am and 7 pm. No answering machine so keep trying as he might be under a car. He has a late A cab in there now that it totally rusty but going back together nicely. He does everything from engines body paint and interior/tops.
Another person is Tod Rego in Watsonville. He also has many years of 356 restoration his number is (831) 734-2519.
Just wanted to add these guys to your list to check out as they are between SLO and Sacramento