PORSCHE 356A DAILY DRIVER.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: PORSCHE 356A DAILY DRIVER.

#46 Post by David Jones »

Find a copy of this book and it will tell you the history of these cars and what was fitted and when. Search the forum by using the search facility at the top of the page and you will find most of the answers to your questions faster than asking the questions on line.
https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-356-Driv ... 0929758099

For instance on carbs for 56 1600 356.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43593&p=285116&hili ... ic#p285116
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Pierre Ducroit
356 Fan

#47 Post by Pierre Ducroit »

thank you very much for the advise David,but i would prefer to have all your opinions before buying the car(and the book).what carbs seems to be in the car looking at the picture zenith?
thanks for all your help i need it.
please don forget to put me everything that seems to be weird on the car.i will really aprpreciate,since im noy buyin a lets say cheap car.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#48 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

I think that Dr. Brett Johnsons book is also an amazing resource you can utilize. Brett's book can be had for less than 20 dollars on Amazon and will end up saving you money in the long run when you arm yourself with knowledge.

With either car you choose make sure that you have someone with really good knowledge take a look at the car. You are in Mexico City you said? Perhaps someone could come take a look at the cars with you and better advise you going forward before making such a large purchase.

As far as safety, you do need to be aware and make sure that your lights are bright, your horn works, and you keep your head on a swivel! If you want to drive a 356 daily I say go ahead! As posted above, you are going to spend money on maintenance and it will be more than a car that isn't a classic. In cities it can be a little scary to street park because your car might get dinged, backed in to, bump-parked, or vandalized.

Anyway, that's all I got! Keep asking questions!
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Pierre Ducroit
356 Fan

#49 Post by Pierre Ducroit »

Thanks to all keep posting whatever you may see in the pictures that is wrong
thanks

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#50 Post by Jules Dielen »

a 1600 in 1956 would have had 32 solex carbs with the older shroud and the linkage in front of the shroud with a big spring, so the shroud is also incorrect on this car, as it is not compatible with the early setup. There would also be an equalizer tube on the back of the shroud.

The fuel tank should be a satin black, as should the straps. They also seem to be missing the felt between the straps and the tank. The front and rear strikers should be flat black on a T1, these look silverish in color on this car.

As stated above, get some literature if you are looking at investing this much money. Brett Johnson's book is great, the Reutter book and Konradt's book have many period pictures that will help you a lot. And ask away here at the registry. Post more pics, and there are many people on this board that can help you.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#51 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

I say post more pics and we will get working on whats wrong/off.
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Pierre Ducroit
356 Fan

#52 Post by Pierre Ducroit »

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-25 at 13.55.14 (1).jpeg
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-25 at 13.55.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-25 at 13.55.24 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-09-25 at 13.55.13.jpeg

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#53 Post by Norm Miller »

Pierre,

First of all go for the "A".
The A's were second to none performing in the mountains back in the 50's & 60's.
They were fairly competitive on the track with their little 32 Solex's even after the 58's with their Zeniths.
The A is a quieter car than the B/C.
Don't let anyone tell you there is a problem with drum brakes. I raced a 58 sucessfully and sold it with 123000 miles in 62 still with original brake shoes.
The non standard wheels would be an advantage for handleing.
I have no idea why the Reutter badge is on the left as several will comment on thet. Just a quirk.
I have owned and driven the hell out of the following: 2)58 Speedster's, 59 Coupe, 62 Coupe and a 65 Coupe over the last 57 years and like the rodders several
engine mod's to go faster.
Looking back I think the stock engine is most enjoyable for a happy driver.

Cordially
Norm

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#54 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Very nice car and would make a great driver. It's certainly not concours but they're not asking concours money for it--price seems about what it should be based on just what can be seen to be incorrect in the few photos provided.

It looks like the seller knows exactly what they have and have priced it based on what they know is incorrect. I'd ask them to point out everything they know is an issue as far as originality goes. You've already been given some examples here, see if they mention the same things and more. And be sure to take a good look at the underneath, suspension and all the details.

Show the seller this discussion in the forum. That way he can see your thought process and hopefully be able to answer some of the questions posed here.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Pierre Ducroit
356 Fan

#55 Post by Pierre Ducroit »

what carbs do you think this motor have?what would be the more expensive thing to fix?thanks for your replies.
regards

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#56 Post by Jules Dielen »

This has Zenith carbs, standard for later 1600s all the way through C cars. It's a good, uncomplicated carb, just not correct for this year. Changing this to the correct Solex 32 setup will be pretty costly (carbs, linkages, spring, manifolds, shroud, fuel line, equalizer tube etc).

Being a 56 it would have had the speedo on the left and the combo gauge on the right (the only year this was done), that is a pretty easy fix. It sits on either widened wheels or chinese reproductions wheels, they are definitely not stock 4.5 x 15.

Also if this was a US delivery car originally, it would have had bumper overriders. a single low bow in the front and also a long single bow in the rear. The rear one is next to impossible to find since it was only used for a short time. This is not easy to install afterward as holes will have to be drilled into the body for the support tubes. Do you have the VIN?
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#57 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Pierre, I think you may be looking at these comment about some incorrect areas a little too critically considering the car's price.

You might not want to worry so much about what's correct or not since you're looking for a driver. As long as the car looks, runs and preforms well it will be very enjoyable as it is and many people wouldn't even know anything wasn't exactly as original. And it's the fact that there are these small issues that makes the car considerably less expensive than if it really had everything exactly right. The 'problems' listed so far won't have any affect on its driveability.

Of course you're the one who would have to live with the car, so if it would really bother you that the carbs and fan shroud are wrong or that the fuel tank's color isn't right, then that's another story. But take into consideration that this still looks like a nice car for the money, assuming it really is as nice as you've described it. Hopefully you've seen it in person, photos can be very deceiving.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Pierre Ducroit
356 Fan

#58 Post by Pierre Ducroit »

iv seen it personally the car seems like brand new,all de details that you a telling me i couldnt even recognize if you werent tell me.the actual owner has the COA fro that car.And a question here 100,000 us dollar is a fair price?

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#59 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Here's a link to Hagerty's valuation of a '56 normal coupe:
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationt ... rsche-356A

They put the value of a number 2 (excellent condition, but not concours) at $104K.

So if it really is a number 2, the price sounds about right.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

John Standish
356 Fan

#60 Post by John Standish »

Our 1955 1500N Continental Coupe was our only driver for a few years but could no longer comfortably accommodate a family of five.
We sold it back in the 1970s and replaced it with a series of nondescript USA four-door "beater" sedans.
In the ensuing years I was rear-ended four times, twice in a 1966 Plymouth Valiant, and twice in a 1967 Lincoln Continental Coupe.
My last serious encounter was being hit broadside in my Ford F-150 by a smaller pickup truck coming out of a liquor store parking lot at night in reverse with no lights on.
All those crashes occurred at "drive-time" when the roads are busy and things happen.
I appreciate the life-preserving features of modern cars but our old Porsche is the only car that is still fondly remembered.

download/file.php?id=46305&mode=view