Main bearing prices

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Main bearing prices

#1 Post by Bruce Smith »

I've been using Sunset Porsche lately for OEM Porsche parts, their discount is very good. Their price on main bearing sets is very low, i.e. 616-100-138-00 is $174. Can this be right? Vendors are selling them at about $400. Even AA sells theirs for $300. Here's the link:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem- ... 1610013800
Bruce Smith

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: Main bearing prices

#2 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Bruce
it does seem that they give a good discount better than most dealers and not like some of our vendors that have to mark up Porsche prices to be able to honor their wholesale discount. I think this listing is in error since i believe Porsche list is about $750 so if they were to discount it it would be maybe at best $500. they don't seem to offer any other 356/912 sets. i would grab all you could if they were truly Porsche pieces. you can get AA bearings for less than $200 if you are in the trade. Also AA has #1 and #4 in alloy like the old days and a very good size selection. The quality control is not up to Porsche standards so you as the builder have to take the responsibility in using them.
j

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Too good to be true

#3 Post by Bruce Smith »

As expected, $174 for a main bearing set was too good to be true. Sunset responded: "Porsche doesn't supply the bearings in a kit any more and the individual parts has one bearing that was discontinued. We removed it from the order for you."
Bruce Smith

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

so sad

Eric Wills
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric Wills »

Wherever you get your engine bearings, better measure them carefully.

EW
Eric Wills

John Clarke
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Clarke »

Bruce , Jacques , And why are bearing sets not $174 or even less ? Are Stock and undersize bearings for other classic cars of limited production from the past the same daft prices we have to pay? Or unavailable? If they can be produced in sufficient numbers, the machinery and materials to produce them, surely hasn't disappeared! It must be possible.
Regards Jay

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi John
things change and actually AA sells at jobber very close to that price with size coverage that exceeds even the initial production. most in the community pay daft prices for appearance items like $200 for a Hella style fog light.
j