Weekend Project

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

Weekend Project

#1 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Spent some time in the garage on the carburators for Miss April (65 C). Mostly have the Zenith's dialed in, but have now found that the float level on the passenger side can be set to perfect height, but then with holding down the throttle at high rpm's for a long time, the level will drop significantly. This does not happen on the drivers side. I tried changing out the float jet (125) to another one I had, also a 125 and the result is the same. I doubt there is a restriction to the passenger side of the fuel line, and I have already cleaned out the fuel pump. Thinking the 125 jets I tried, which are both obviously newer ones, just can't keep up and may purchase a 150. It is interesting that the same setup on the drivers side works great.

So, I am down to thinking it's feed to the jet or somehow the float tab is not perfect. Oh, I have already dressed up the small spot where the float contacts the float tab.

Car actually drives great. I guess if I had my foot really in it on a long steep hill, she'd complain.

After fiddling with the car, I dug a deep hole in the front yard. Preparation for lots of concrete and a brand new 30' flagpole!
Attachments
nylon-american-flag-3x5-3.jpg
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Weekend Project

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Thank you for the beautiful picture. :D
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#3 Post by Alex Mestas »

Hi Paul
Good Luck with fine tuning the carburators. Great picture BTW of our beautiful flag. A true symbol of pride and freedom! Fly it proud!

Alex Mestas
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Forman »

+1
Bob Forman

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

Paul

That sounds like the float valve sticking or restricted flow through it. I have spares if you need one. Car club meeting Saturday in Freeland 0900
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#6 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Thanks to all of you who have sent me private messages regards the flagpole. Apparently lots of us still love our flag.

As for the float level, here is a short video of what it was doing: https://youtu.be/Rr-xYU4j52g

I corrected the situation this afternoon. Blew through fuel line, seemed to be nothing there. Checked float hinge and all seemed to operate freely although the hinge pin simply fell out onto the garage floor. Reassembled fine. I decided to remove a thin washer on the float valve to get the level a tad higher, which when reassembled it did come up a bit above the proper Z3 line on my gauge, but only a little. Holding throttle full open for a long time and level held. I am satisfied and test drive was great.

Now,,, back to getting ready to mix concrete!
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mike Horton »

Paul, as a Viet Nam Veteran, I too, like many others appreciate the Flag photo, and your having posted it. I left a Daughter 9 days old, to go to Southeast Asia, to protect that flag, and all it represents, I do love it so.

If you have the Little Spec book, which Porsche furnished to the dealership mechanics, for their tool box, for quick accurate technical specs, and other reference, in the back, are the factory jetting specs, and I recall, the "C" jetting, is different, and richer, than the earlier Zeniths. Ron LaDow, has stated in the past, that these factory jets, will usually run well, even in a 1720 big bore "C", it seems like the mains, were 130s. Sorry my recollection is so poor, as I've been running the Solex 40 PIIs. Up here at 3300' elevation, I had to run 57.5 Idle fuel jets, and 127.5 main fuel jets, to keep my oil temps to normal in the hot TX summer weather, and to regain the fuel mileage, up to 32 mpg, in all interstate travelling, at legal road speeds. I read everything David Jones, our fuel blend pro writes, and with his wise council, arrived at a great outcome, for my '68 912, which came jetted too lean, for the then new EPA smog settings. The ethanol, just needs richer jets, to function, but Ron says the standard "C" book jets are OK... Ron?
Mike

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#8 Post by Pat Daily »

Great photo--love the flag!
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Eric McKinley »

Paul,

When I was in Baghdad back in 2004-05-06 I was always glad to come across the US Forces.

I have a great respect for them and what they have gone through and continue to do so.

This is my hallway, I don't have a flag however I do have these.
Attachments
image.png

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Thank you Eric. This must be why I felt so at home in Ireland. Not to mention the Smithwicks!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion