VDO Repair facility recommendation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Lauppe
356 Fan

VDO Repair facility recommendation

#1 Post by Tom Lauppe »

I'm the second owner of a 1963 356B Super, T-6 Coupe (6 volt car). Bought it in March 1968. Just back on the road after 33 years in the garage. I am requesting feedback on expert VDO instrument repair. Speedometer and tachometer need it. Clock is inop also. I used John B. Nichols in Greensboro NC for speedo repair in 1968 (now http://www.nsifleet.com/home.html). The Registry magazine has ads from North Hollywood and Palo Alto repair facilities. I am looking for the best value to have the work done (quality of repair, reasonable price). Any replies are appreciated. Thanks, Tom L.

Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: VDO Repair facility recommendation

#2 Post by Peter Silten »

I have used both North Hollywood and Palo Alto. I would highly recommend both. I think their pricing is about the same.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#3 Post by Greg Bryan »

Tom - welcome to the 356Talk forums. you will get lots of good advice from folks who have already gone down the road you're now traveling. You will notice that I moved your post to the Main Discussion forum. The Q and A forum is for asking questions specific to the web site - no harm, a lot of people do that on their first post.
I have also used North Hollywood and Palo Alto over the years - pretty much sixes. They both do good work at a reasonable price.
There may be shops in the east that specialize in Porsche and VDO - perhaps others will chime in.
Cheers
Greg Bryan

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

+1 for Palo Alto. As far as the clock, I think both change the works to a quartz movement.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

Peter Silten wrote:I have used both North Hollywood and Palo Alto. I would highly recommend both. I think their pricing is about the same.
Me too, and I'd bet they check the others pricing on a regular basis.
I do NOT mean that as a criticism; I'd say they end up keeping each other competitive.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Roos
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Roos »

Tom
I have used the west coast shops and I have used Nichols (NSI). All have done excellent work for me in the past. I lean towards Nichol because I'm on the east coast and it just makes more sense to em. I'm close enough that I can even drop them off and they'll ship back when finished.
Regards,
Tom Roos
Durham, NC
Tom Roos

Tom Lauppe
356 Fan

#7 Post by Tom Lauppe »

Thanks to all for replies. Quartz clock work and NSI included. I,too, am on the east coast so I'll include in the check. Tom

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ben Wainscott »

I have used both west coast instrument repair facilities and have no complaints.

Another option on the clock is the one that Sierra Madre offers (http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/35 ... 27994.html). It allows you to keep your original and is about 1/2 price of the conversion. It doesn't have VDO on the face, thought.
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

John Weyand
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Weyand »

The great part about these two vendors is service. After I got my gauges and clock back had some minor issues. One was my error and one was a faulty gear that developed in the first year of service. Both were quickly repaired at no additional cost to me with no questions asked. They were only concerned with the quality of the work and parts. I, too, was a bit shocked at the cost initially but I'd do the same again without hesitation.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

Tom Lauppe
356 Fan

#10 Post by Tom Lauppe »

Again, thanks to all for your prompt and informative replies.

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

VDO Repair facility recommendation - Australia

#11 Post by Nanette Reid »

I thought I'd check with other Aussies members about where they get their VDO gauges repaired in Australia?
We have a place here in Adelaide, but my mechanic hasn't been ultra-impressed with the results from others gauges they've sent for repair in the past.

Hanns Mueller-Rech
356 Fan
Instagram: erwin_loves_polo

#12 Post by Hanns Mueller-Rech »

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#13 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I also used North Hollywood with excellent results but the quartz clock is sitting on a shelf as I replaced it with an oil pressure gauge which I feel is more important. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41777&start=0
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#14 Post by George Hussey »

hartmut at Palo Alto, a meticulous gentleman
George Hussey

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#15 Post by Jim Liberty »

Peter S. has it right. Both are first class. Hope you are not in a hurry, both are usually over booked. ..........Jim.
Jim Liberty