Slight Play in Steering Wheel

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lynn Sheeley
356 Fan
Tag: Thunder Road Tubs

Slight Play in Steering Wheel

#1 Post by Lynn Sheeley »

1961 B Notchback Coupe. Have read the thread Lots of play in steering wheel and
verified the measurements of steering shaft and steering column in the factory manual.

Car was completely disassembled when I purchased so no starting reference point.

I removed the steering column tube to paint it during restoration. The steering wheel
is stock wheel from another car. The spring and spacer piece are turned correctly as
shown in the thread.

The measurement B from the end of the steering shaft to the top edge of the column
bearing was 33.9 mm with the steering tube pulled all the way toward the engine with
no more adjustment at the column mount under the front edge of dash. After removing
bolts on both clamps either side of the steering coupler I managed to tap the shaft to
new measurement of 33.08 mm so moved it almost 1 mm. The shaft is still 9.5 mm
protuding too far.

Measurement A is 22.0 mm so it is out 15.5 mm which makes me think it is the steering tube.

The rear of the steering coupler has moved about as far as it can. The front of the coupler
toward the steering box, the curve cutout in the shaft for the mounting bolt lines up with
the hole so no more there either.

I have included photos of relevant parts plus my metric measuring device. I used a steel
rule across the shaft and the top edge of steering tube and subtracted that width from
total.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Attachments
SW8.jpg
SW7.jpg
SW6.jpg
SW5.jpg
Lynn Sheeley III
61 Notchback Coupe #200364
Registry Member #1350

E Rutherford
356 Fan

Re: Slight Play in Steering Wheel

#2 Post by E Rutherford »

Lyn,
In your photo showing the turn signal assembly, there are 3 M5 or M6 nuts, if you remove those, the housing separates from the steering column. Use a nut driver in one hand and a magnet in the other when removing to capture the hardware. Right behind all this, is a clamp with an allen head bolt at an angle. If you loosen it, the tube can be adjusted up or down, independent of the housing. The steering shaft is the constant, the column is the variable that is adjusted. Look in the factory shop manual for the correct spacing distance between the steering wheel and the turn signal housing. Set this distance and everything else falls into place.

ed
klasse356.com

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good advice. I would also double-check the tightness of the nut and bolt through the clamps near the coupler.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Lynn Sheeley
356 Fan
Tag: Thunder Road Tubs

#4 Post by Lynn Sheeley »

Ed

That was it. Managed to get measurement A and B on the money and steering wheel is now as it should be with no play. Of course, reinstalled clamp bolts and lock plates on steering gear shaft.

Thanks for the valuable info! That clamp does not show on any of the parts diagrams I have so is good knowledge for the next car with this problem and important when you paint and reinstall the steering column?
Lynn Sheeley III
61 Notchback Coupe #200364
Registry Member #1350