'65 Coupe on Ebay

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: '65 Coupe on Ebay

#61 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Steven Murray wrote:
Sean M Rooks wrote: I've only been monitoring 356 prices for 15 years. So I'm a young'n.
Wow Sean - that's a lot of work.
I should mention that's been casually, as a person wanting to get one of these beautiful and historic cars to own and drive and not as an investment. Which limited me to models that are affordable for regular people, like pushrod C and B coupes. I do not get to the level of spreadsheets or traveling to auctions to report on cars as our Registry icons like Schrager, Skirmants, etc. have on our behalf for Market Watch. I admire them greatly and have learned from their wisdom.

You remind me of me 15 years ago! The 912 was on my radar then as a $10K alternative to the 356 but long nose 911 fever brought those cars way up from those days in recent years. Still a bit of a bargain depending on your perspective I suppose. Another car I wish I'd pulled the trigger on was a beautiful $12K Slate Gray over red 912 in Collegeville PA near where I lived back in 2006. Instead I bought a 26,000 mile 76 VW Scirocco for half that as early water-cooled VWs were my thing then.

Not sure of your budget or goals but keep looking...decent cars, better than mine, come up for reasonable prices. Adam's advice is priceless...I'd listen to that and take it to heart. The community is likely where the good stuff trades for honest money. Jim's Bali Blue car has me tempted but I already have too many cars and projects at the moment.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#62 Post by Jules Dielen »

I have owned a few 914s but never 'got them'. the 1.7 and 1.8 are plain slow, the 2.0 is nice but still lacks 'oomph', the sixes are fun to drive, but shifting accuracy (with the correct tail shifter) is vague at best on all of them.

Problem then is a 'real six' is just about as expensive as a nice C nowadays, and there is no way in hell i would get a 914/6 over any 356.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#63 Post by Adam Wright »

Jules Dielen wrote:I have owned a few 914s but never 'got them'. the 1.7 and 1.8 are plain slow, the 2.0 is nice but still lacks 'oomph', the sixes are fun to drive, but shifting accuracy (with the correct tail shifter) is vague at best on all of them.

Problem then is a 'real six' is just about as expensive as a nice C nowadays, and there is no way in hell i would get a 914/6 over any 356.
Yeah, but given the choice of waiting to afford a 356 or getting to enjoy a 914, I'll take the 914 in the meantime. Luckily some of us don't have to choose, unless I'm eating cones, than I chose the 914.
Attachments
914-19.jpeg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

join your local group, hang out, get greasy, and let it be k

#64 Post by Steven Murray »

Good advice but the only local event I've found so far was Adam's unobtainium open house. I was talking to the open house attendees and was told that many of the CT , NY clubs fizzled and have merged into type356ne - which sounded like it might be centered in the boston area. I have the option to join that regional club. There isn't much local visible here from the 356 registry in Events for example. I contacted the fellow listed in the magazine as the Ct region and he was very nice, he invited me to his home and let me sit in his 356, gave me advice and probably would contact me if he hears of a 356 up for sale. I can attend the NJ Holiday in about a year. I missed the April swap meet in Hershey and the Sept one in PA somewhere, that's not really hanging out. There were about 10 356s at the Sept 17th CT caffeine and carbs although the owners were absent probably checking out the other 356s. So we'll see.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#65 Post by Jules Dielen »

Steve, you should make the trek out west and visit a WCH or some of the bigger events in SoCal.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: join your local group, hang out, get greasy, and let it

#66 Post by Adam Wright »

Steven Murray wrote:Good advice but the only local event I've found so far was Adam's unobtainium open house. I was talking to the open house attendees and was told that many of the CT , NY clubs fizzled and have merged into type356ne - which sounded like it might be centered in the boston area. I have the option to join that regional club. There isn't much local visible here from the 356 registry in Events for example. I contacted the fellow listed in the magazine as the Ct region and he was very nice, he invited me to his home and let me sit in his 356, gave me advice and probably would contact me if he hears of a 356 up for sale. I can attend the NJ Holiday in about a year. I missed the April swap meet in Hershey and the Sept one in PA somewhere, that's not really hanging out. There were about 10 356s at the Sept 17th CT caffeine and carbs although the owners were absent probably checking out the other 356s. So we'll see.
The Type356NE group is great, I do several events with them every year, though it is a bit of a trek for us NY folks. But if you do a weekend trip it's worth it. I drove my car up MT. Washington with them, that was terrifying!
Attachments
mtwash.jpg
fall14.jpg
fall17.jpg
fall5.jpg
fall2.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Toby Brown
356 Fan

#67 Post by Toby Brown »

OK you fellow 356 car nuts. I’m the guy who bought the silver over green 356 that was on eBay. I had seen the car listed early on and by the time I got back to look for cars on eBay it was gone. I assumed that someone had bought the car. A few weeks pass and I scouting for cars and there it is again. First of all I’m not new to Porsche, I’m not new anyway with my 70th birthday about to happen, so I am not interested in a numbers matching everything perfect car. I want something to tour with my fellow Porsche club members when our 911 Turbo at 500HP just seems too much. I guess I’m starting to slow down a bit. So, this car up close and personal is a work of art. The detail is impressive, the owner of the shop is the most polite and professional person I have ever run into in the car business. This car has the carrera 2 exhaust and lower skirt on it so it produces a beautiful deep sound. The engine is strong and transmission shifts like a new transmission. Suspension and handling are superb. Interior workmanship is over the top. Everything and I mean everything works as designed. Clock, radio, all gauges, lights, heat and defrost. Perfect. Even a iPod or iPhone connection in the glove box. All in all the whole transaction has been the best of my lifetime. Reliable carriers pick it up the day after the transaction was finalized and delivered it to my home within 30 minutes of the time they said, all the way for LA to the Kansas City area. It was a gamble to spend this kind of money on an eBay car but because of the dealer it has turned out fantastic. Did I mention that you could eat your dinner off of the bottom of the car? Perfect. This was the car that I was after and I am so thankful that nobody bought it before I had my second chance at it.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#68 Post by Bruce Smith »

Good for you Toby. Congratulations for buying what looks like a really nice car. Cheers.
Bruce Smith