356 B brake job question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jack Banville
356 Fan

356 B brake job question

#1 Post by Jack Banville »

Hello,
I'm reassembling my brakes with all new components. I bought a brake spring kit from Stoddard.
The aluminum colored top hats for the springs at mid-shoe are loose as if the spring below the shoe is too short. In other words they won't lock down. I didn't disassemble the brakes so I'm relying on the manuals and photos. Seems like I've done everything correctly. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jack

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: 356 B brake job question

#2 Post by David Jones »

Pictures will help Jack but first thing that comes to mind are the pins that locate on those "top hats" Compare the old pins with the new ones and see if they are the same length. The top hat I would have referred to as a retainer tab or maybe washer. You should have to really compress the spring to get them on then twist through 90 degrees to lock it in place. There is a tool for the job but it can be done with a pair of pliers.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-48400-Brak ... B000HTNQ6O
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jack Banville »

Hi David,
Yes the pins are the same length and so are the springs...

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

Take a look at You Tube videos for VW install -- here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stbZDehKX8k go to about 12:20 to see how the spring and cup are put into place. They show vice grips holding the cup you can bend the cup in half that way; best is to use the proper tool as David has posted.

BTW, those nails are not VW and are specially machined to length for the 356 application. The little cups ARE VW but everything else is specific to the 356.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jack Banville »

I hate to admit it but I had the spring between the plate and the shoe instead of on top....as soon as I saw 2 seconds of the video I started laughing. Thanks Brad!
Jack

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Jack Banville wrote:I hate to admit it but I had the spring between the plate and the shoe instead of on top....as soon as I saw 2 seconds of the video I started laughing. Thanks Brad!
Jack
:D