Read This Plug

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

Read This Plug

#1 Post by Dan Kalinski »

#3.

Rebuilt the carbs a couple of months ago for the '59. Engine ran nicely with lots of power. Drove it a couple of weeks ago and noted a little popping while cold (chuffing) like it was too lean on one of the cylinders, but went away by the time I hit the end of my driveway (900'). About a half hour later and very close to home, the engine started to "pop" quite a bit on a pull up a hill and once I hit the top of the hill, was able to idle down the hill and driveway and into my shop.

Looks like super lean fuel delivery. Hope this is not metal spray on the plug. Have not done a compression test yet or leak-down. Once that is done, if good results there, will pull the carb and look for obstruction in main/idle jets. Possible intake leak? Zeniths.

What do the experts think?

Rest of the plugs look wonderful.

TIA.
Attachments
HPIM0255.JPG

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Read This Plug

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

If that's the only plug and it's kinda white, it's a lean condition--check the idle air jet (on top); Otherwise, drain the float-bowl
for access to the idle fuel jet. Also, check the float level after refilling it. Final checks involve the mixture adjustment screw(s).

Dick

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

I would take the jet cover off the side and check the main jet as well, it could be partially blocked.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Dan.
That looks like an air leak, if it's only on one cylinder, take some carb cleaner with the spray tube on it, at steady idle, spray a little around the manifold and head, then under the carb base and look for an RPM jump.
You could have a plugged jet, but you just did the carbs.
I have an antique "colurtune" glass spark plug if you want to look at the flame color.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

C J Murray
356 Fan

#5 Post by C J Murray »

What do the other plugs look like?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Nelson »

I'd also do the leakdown to see if there were any other issues that accompanied the funky plug reading.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Douglas »

I had that problem, one of the intake valves stuck partially open, allowing some combustion to back flow into the carb and Partially melted the diffuser ring in the Zenith carb, hence the traces of pop metal on the plug. Harry Pellow was there and helped me out. His thought was that gas had leaked a little bit and evaporated leaving the valve stem with varnish which when driven a little heated up enough to stick the valve. We sprayed the top of the valve with some WD40 and let it sit then hit the rocker with a hammer, before driving it, everything worked ok to get home. The spark plug has some pot metal melted to it so cleaned it off, and replaced the diffuser ring and things have been good since. Harry thought that since the heads had new guides that they were a bit too tight not allowing enough oil to lubricate the stems, running a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas for a while might have helped till the guides wore in.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

First off, valves were checked and they all measured to specification.

As per CJ's request, here is the shot of all the plugs and #1/2 look pretty good to me. #3 is the culprit with #4 looking (to me) a bit on the lean side.

Compression is over 100lbs, ~104lbs and stable at that rate for a minute or so. BTW, there are about 13K+ miles on this rebuild from August of 1989.

Think the valves are good as are the rings. Has to be crap in the idle/main jets or some nasty vacuum leak at manifold or at the head.

Remove carb 1st? Or put it back, start and squirt carb cleaner as John suggests?

Thanks again.
Attachments
HPIM0260.JPG

John Brooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Brooks »

If you have not pulled the carb, ether or cleaner will cause the rpm to increase with a leak.

If it's already off, put a sheet to 400 grit on a mirror or sheet of glass. Sit the carburator base on the sand paper and slowly, lightly in a figure 8 pattern rub the base of the carb on the paper and insure the base is flat. High spots will be bright, it does not take much warping to leak.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wes Bender »

He indicated he has Zeniths. They have an iron base and shouldn't be warped.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wes Bender wrote:He indicated he has Zeniths. They have an iron base and shouldn't be warped.
+1

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

3 good plugs and one bad lean one and all equal compression means either an air leak or a blocked fuel jet at only the number 3 carburetor barrel. My guess would be dirt in the idle jet unless you are driving very aggressively and there is dirt in the main jet or, unlikely, your air correction jet has fallen out. My bet would be on a clogged idle jet. The hole in that jet is very tiny.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Debris in float bowl. For sure the same crap in the jets/elsewhere. Took the carb apart and cleaned with the pressurized can of cleaner, especially all the ports that were accessible. Note too, there was a bit of the old gasket on the top of the manifold, so my bad there. Need to sync now and fine tune. Time for that tomorrow. Time for "Happy Hour" now.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.

KTF!

https://youtu.be/8QfVRqNPqYk

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dan, great you found it, but in the future, you can avoid a lot of the guess-work (and wasted effort) by swapping the carbs, side-to-side. If the problem moves with the carb, you can forget that 'plugged idle jet in the distributor' for example.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by C J Murray »

Dan Kalinski wrote:Debris in float bowl. For sure the same crap in the jets/elsewhere.
Please describe the debris. Is it a fine silt with a slight rust color tint? This is usually the case and the only fix is to inspect the gas tank for rust and repair the problem aggressively. Filters do not stop rust from passing, that always seems to be handled by the idle jet! :(

Zenith issue: the accelerator pump diaphragm is leather. When you rebuild the carbs there can be the possibility of tiny "dangly bits" of leather where it was cut to shape. These little bits usually decide to clog the idle jet when they pull away from the diaphragm.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion