Drive yer old dog day

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Graham Kerr
356 Fan

Drive yer old dog day

#1 Post by Graham Kerr »

I know this should go to Gordon Maltby but I can't find an email address for him, so here is my Sunday 2 cents worth pics. I hope it can be forwarded onto the main man.
"Just taken the old jam jar out to me local boozer for a few scoops before getting back to me gaff for some Sunday nosebag"
Translation: I have just driven in my car to my nearby public house to consume an alcoholic beverage then shall return to my house for Sunday luncheon.
No I don't talk like that really, only to the wife or cat.
Attachments
DSCN1710.JPG
DSCN1708.JPG
DSCN1709.JPG
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Drive yer old dog day

#2 Post by David Jones »

Graham, how do you open the doors? Do you carry a suction cup with handle around with you? How often do you get stopped by the rozzers when driving your jam jar looking the way it does? Back in the 70's before I moved to the states I'm sure that a car like that would have attracted a lot of attention from the old bill. That would be even without a visit to the local boozer.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

I love what you've done to the car. ..................Jim.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

David Jones wrote:Graham, how do you open the doors?
I assume he puts an appendage in the hole. :shock:
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#5 Post by Graham Kerr »

Damn it, I didn't think anybody would notice the missing door handles. Talk about eagle eyed. Actually the car isn't even legal to be driven on the road yet because it doesn't have any official papers. I have to get the car to pass a MOT test which is a general UK roadworthiness test, brakes, steering, tyres, lights the usual stuff but when I started the re-build of the car it was only a damaged rusty shell with a few cartons of parts which didn't contain any keys. Anyway a company over here said they could make me keys but would need the lock barrels. So whilst I wait for new keys that is why the door handles are off. You can open the doors by sticking your finger in the hole and pressing the catch. And as for the boys in blue although I have USA style licence plates and surrounds (cool in the UK), being the car is rare and left hand drive (the right side, ha) I can blag my way out of most situations. But the old bill are pretty easy going when it comes to classic cars.
However Sunday the 16th was the 'Day' so I just had to comply didn't I.
And thanks for the compliment Jim, quite honestly it had to be an outlaw because I could never have afforded to purchase all the stuff it would have needed to have been put back into a stock configuration. (There is quite a few MGB parts in the old dog actually.)
Attachments
DSCN1663.JPG
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

I was giving you credit for having some kind of electric door locks. I thought the hole was a button to unlock the doors with a remote then have them spring open which I thought would be very cool.
I got a ticket for not enough tread on my Jowett Javelin back in 1970 for not enough tread on one tire. Sharp eyed rozzer with a view to making a name for himself in Calne, Wilts. Back then any car was fair game for the rozzers.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0002.JPG
I have an MG map light in my '63, and a "Blower" on my 948.
Jim Liberty

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Neil »

My first two cars were a bugeye Sprite, followed by an MGB. Highly recommend this replacement part if you are running British electricals.
Attachments
Smokekit2-5.jpg
Smokekit2-5.jpg (22.28 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#9 Post by Graham Kerr »

I remember it well, "gosh it seems to be getting a bit foggy today, jeezs! we're on fire!" and ripping red hotwires from under the dashboard. Oh joys of early hot rodding. And speaking of hot rodding that is why I've got a few MG bits into my 356. In my murky past I have built a few rods, a couple of V8 Ford Pops you got the delux Anglias on your side of the pond. So the last one I did was a Morris 1000 traveller. I pulled the 1098cc motor and installed a 1800 MGB lump plus overdrive gearbox. I rebuilt the engine with headwork, half race cam, big carbs and headers and it flew. Like most rods, way to fast for the chassis (like 115mph in overdrive at 4000rpm just coming onto the cam, it was getting floaty at that speed) Anyways I broke a rusty MGB for all the stuff and the few bits on the 356 is the stainless trim under the door which is the body line trim off the MGB front wings, the race rear view mirrors, plenty of carpets but most importantly all the wiring. My 356 had a loom in it but it was in real bad shape so I re-wired my old dog with the MG wiring doing it all in European colours. Now I can look at the wire colour and immediately know where it goes to. It's just like a Mini or Morris or MG, plus it cost me nothing which is what I like.
And today I received in the mail my door lock barrels back with a couple of keys. How they made the keys just from the barrels I do not know, but now I can put the door handles back on plus the door panels and hopefully I will soon be legal.
That's the fuse panel on the left with all the relays on the right and the additional fuse box below and relays is for the air horns and twin spotlight cos I'd run out of fuse box space up top.
Attachments
DSCN1666.JPG
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Graham Kerr wrote:My 356 had a loom in it but it was in real bad shape so I re-wired my old dog with the MG wiring doing it all in European colours. Now I can look at the wire colour and immediately know where it goes to. It's just like a Mini or Morris or MG, plus it cost me nothing which is what I like.
Surely this is a first, an MGB wiring harness installed into a Porsche 356! Imagine that!

Graham is quite correct that all English cars of that period used a universal standard as to what color/colors were to be used to wire a circuit based on what it controlled. Once you have worked on them awhile you don't need to refer to the diagram to tell what the wire is for, or what it used to control before it burned up because many circuits are not fused! My Elva has a total of two(2) fuses!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Gordon Maltby »

you can't find an email address to send the photo. Seriously?

membership@porsche356registry.org

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#12 Post by Jim Liberty »

Graham, beautifully executed. I just love the attention to detail, and the battery box in car color. ......................Jim.
Jim Liberty