correct coating for a new battery tray ?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc
356 Fan

correct coating for a new battery tray ?

#1 Post by ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc »

I'm just replacing the rusty battery floor of my 356C and i'm wondering what the correct coating for both sides (inside / outside) would be.

In order to mask the rust, at one point, an additional panel was added over the rusty floor and covered with glass fiber and finally, all the trunk had been coated with a kind of anti gravel paint.

The underbody also received a thick coat of the same anti-gravel paint.

Could somebody provide me information what the correct coating for the trunk and especially the battery tray should be ?
Attachments
IMG_5734.JPG
IMG_5732.JPG

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

Re: correct coating for a new battery tray ?

#2 Post by Jay Wiener »

I used the wurth stone shield textured under coating. It comes in a spray can and is easy to apply

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Inside I paint with black Rustoleum. Outside, paint with Rustoleum and coat with undercoating as Jay suggested.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

ZIMMERMANN JEan-Luc wrote:I'm just replacing the rusty battery floor of my 356C and i'm wondering what the correct coating for both sides (inside / outside) would be?
Luc -
The accompanying photo of my 356C Cabriolet's original battery box and floor pan may be helpful as a reference for the reconstruction of your C's battery box and coating.
In areas of the original coating requiring a touch-up, I used the German "Wurth SKS Stoneguard" applied and textured with a short bristle brush to blend in with the original under-coating used throughout the car.
- Wl
Attachments
Bat Box-1.JPG

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Great info, Wil. Thanks!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Darlington »

its not correct but You might try one of the urethane bed liner materials Rino liner, Gator Guard, Rustoleum also has it. available in cans almost everywhere ,brush on and it should last for ever.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Neil »

Not "correct" but the prior owner of my 356 had coated the battery box as well as other parts of the car with POR-15, which seems to be a super rust inhibitor. http://www.por15.com
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S