Photography and Photographs and GEOTAGGING

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Bridgers
356 Fan

Photography and Photographs and GEOTAGGING

#1 Post by Tom Bridgers »

I received a surprise in the new 356 Registry issue as a photo of my restored 356SC engine was used in the European Exhaust article. Not sure where it came from and have asked the author, Greg Bryan, how he acquired it.
This raises a concern I've shared with other friends who have collectibles. Geotagging is in any photo unless it is turned off. (Obviously, there is none in a magazine photo.)
Being in a remote location with all manner of watch dogs (animal and human) is reassuring, however, this is something to consider if your "toys" are located in "metropolitan areas".

For what it's worth.

Tom

PS: It's a great article!
1964 356 SC
1967 911
1974 911
1973 914S
2004 GT3

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Photography and Photographs and GEOTAGGING

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

Tom - sorry for the late reply but my internet in the mountains that doesn't work well at the best of times is down completely till later this week.
As I said in the article, I collected some of the pictures I used from the 356Talk site and some from the open internet. Other I received from those credited in the article and some I took myself.
Haven't received my copy yet - anxious to see it
Regards
Greg Bryan

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Gordon Maltby »

Tom,

I understand your concern. Geotags obviously don't exist for printed material, and mostly, as part of our website and e-newsletter the images become part of the "package", if you will, and the metadata is no longer available.
While there are probably nasty people out there who would go to the trouble of determining GPS coordinates for a Speedster Carrera from the metadata, it's like anything else in modern life: how paranoid does a person really want to be about it? The only suggestion I can make to anyone posting images on the net is to remove the location data beforehand. The photo in question came from the internet and it did have GPS coordinates in its original form.

As a policy, we try very hard to vet all images before publishing in print or online. In this case it was my failure to determine and verify the original source.

Thank you Tom, for your contribution (even though you didn't know you were doing so). And thanks for bringing up this subject. People should be aware. If anyone else is knowledgeable about these things, please chime in.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#4 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Tom, If that's your car in the article photos you might want to check out Vic's 'ground strap' post:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44605
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Tom Bridgers
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Bridgers »

Eating Crow tonight. Greg got the photos "HERE" as I posted them MYSELF 2 years ago regarding the exhaust mounts on these engines.

Big laugh when I opened the link. Thanks Greg. Again, keep up the great articles.

Best,

Tom
1964 356 SC
1967 911
1974 911
1973 914S
2004 GT3