Looking for resolution suggestions - classifieds

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Looking for resolution suggestions - classifieds

#1 Post by Victor Ingram »

About 2 months ago I answered a Registry classified and spoke to a gentleman about a custom fit bra for my 356. He had a speedster back in the day and had sold it so he had no need for it anymore. He also mentioned that he is no longer a 356 member. Anyway he described it as "in good condition", but needed cleaned up. The seller said if it doesn't fit I will gladly return your money. I agreed to the price and sent payment priority mail. It took the seller about 2 weeks to send the bra, when it arrived, it had a six inch tear in the front by the running light hole. I was so disappointed that I immediately packed it back up and sent it back to the seller. I called the seller on 3 occassions and did not get an answer so I left several messages to let him know I was not happy with it and it is being returned. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt I figured he may have been on vacation.

I gave it another week so the bra would be delivered and called the seller again on multiple occasions and left messages. Finally he answered and I guess he has call waiting and said "yea I know I owe you money that was the deal". Politely I explained that the bra had a tear in it, and the deal was he would refund my money. He said I spent it on VW parts and he would have to work on it. I said alright, if you can send me some money that I could be patient and work with him.

I waited another 2 weeks and just recently called him, same answer! I spent it on VW parts and he could send me a little.

So my question is what can we as 356 Registry members do to prevent "bad deals" impacting our classifieds?

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: Looking for resolution suggestions - classifieds

#2 Post by Edwin Ek »

I thought only members could post classifieds. That's the way it should be, if if isn't.

Victor, I think you are in for excruciating nonsense with this guy. Who doesn't have enough cash flow to return a few hundred bucks? And who deliberately deceives someone about condition?

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#3 Post by Tom Coughlin »

I think you are screwed. I once had a well-know 356 restoration shop owner from central PA sell me a 356 item with a similar verbal "money back" refund if I was not happy. The product didn't work, I returned it and I was refunded only 2/3 of my money.
I did write to the seller and responsible 356 classified monitor complaining and after five + years have given up any hope of satisfaction. The seller is both a club member, a well known restorer and an advertiser in our magazine but your guy is not even a member.

If you are near him maybe you could try small claims court, but not long that would be tough if long distance.
 KTF, member #15

Rhys and Karisa Haydon
Registry Trustee

#4 Post by Rhys and Karisa Haydon »

Victor,

Sorry this happened to you. Please feel free to reach out to me with any issues you have on the classifieds. Please email me the persons name and I will reach out to him.

It is true that non-members are not able to post, and I am not sure how he is posting, but with his name I will make sure his member privileges are removed.

Periodically we have issues with the classifieds, but I believe all the ones brought to my attention have been resolved. I encourage everyone using the classifieds to first try working with the other party, as Victor has, and if you are met with anything other than a courteous communication experience please reach out to me personally.
My email is rhyshaydon@porsche356registry.org

Thanks folks!
Rhys Haydon
Classified Moderator
1956 Coupe "Marilyn"
1964 Coupe "Homer"
Instagram: @therhys

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Sorry this happened to you. I have learned over the years sometimes to take a breath and give up. You may put yourself through $300 worth of aggravation and false hope thinking something good will occur from him, waiting for $150. If he couldn't tell the truth the first time, there is little reason to expect he has suddenly reformed.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Douglass »

I know this might not help you , but we will offer a solution for someone in the future.
Bra's come in different sizes. ( I Know) A T-6 is wider that earlier 356 bodies. So if you see a bra for sale and you have a "C" car ask the seller if it will fit.
If you find a Colgan Bra from the early days and you see a tear you can send it to Colgan in OC near the John Wayne Airport and they can repair it.. In fact they seem to laugh when they see their Bra from 50 years ago is still being used.